Nexto DI, which model??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions

Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Pro Video NVS2500 and other Nexto DI location backup devices.

Old January 29th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Trustee

Nexto DI, which model???

What do I need?

A portable storage solution for (mainly) CF cards from my Canon XF300. SxS and P2 are irrelevant for me and the only need is to create storage when my CF cards are getting full, so offloading from CF to NexTo and then re-initializing the CF card and continue shooting. Transfer time is not critical, but a nice benefit.

My question:

Prices for three models vary widely, so what would you do in my case:

1. ND2730 with 750 GB disk for around $ 450, indicated for photo applications
2. NVS1501 with 750 GB disk for around $ 1060, indicated for video applications
3. NVS2501 with 750 GB disk for around $ 2000, indicated for video applications

Remember, it is only for temp storage from CF cards, no need for SxS or P2 connectivity, 750 GB is enough and there is no need to burn to BR. Only copy the files during extended stays away from home and only upon return copy the stuff to the editing PC.

See also Portable Data Storage

What would you do and why that choice?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Nexto DI, which model???

The fact that the 2730 is mentioned for photo storage does not mean you cannot copy video files. It can. So with your minimum requirements the 2730 would be okay.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I can confirm at the Nexto DI 2730 is primarly designed for Still Photos as opposed to Video.

However, you can use it for videos.

At this time, with current firmware, you can copy the files, but they do not show up in the directory, as the directory is designed to show you the still photos.

This may change in the future. If changed, then one will be able to see the video files in the directory for the internal storage media..

But, even with the current firmware, as soon as you connect the 2730 to a computer, you can see all of the files in the disk directory.

The more expensive devices have additional features, serious additional features, that make these units very suitable for many professionals.

For example, the NVS2525 can make two copies simultaneously. This is in addition to supporting more types of media.
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #4
New Boot

You might want to consider the Nexto DI NVS 1501.

Since the NVS 1501 has a 2.4" LCD monitor, you would be able to see low-res clips of your footage. (The NVS 1501 supports viewing of Canon XF300 files.) You would be able to do a quick verification that your footage had been copied.

You could also perform a bit-by-bit verification to confirm that every bit on your CF card had been copied onto the internal HDD of the Nexto.

One other note: the NVS 1501 has a rugged case---designed for on-location work.

Please check with your local dealer regarding storage capacity.
Karen Schwartz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions