DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   Nikon 300s or Pentax K7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/383258-nikon-300s-pentax-k7.html)

Trip Gould September 10th, 2009 04:17 PM

Nikon 300s or Pentax K7

At the moment, I am equally invested in legacy Nikon and Pentax glass. Up until now, these have been mated to film cameras, and I am looking to step up to a VDSLR. Now, I think both are stellar cameras and I fully believe the stills capabilities of both would fulfill my needs, so I'm wondering which one provides the best combination of stills and video (or best compromise, if that's the better term)? Obviously, Nikon has a little more experience in the medium with the D90, but the K7 seems to provide some very competitive specs. 24P is not a necessity for me, as I'm not looking to do narrative work. This camera would be for nature/landscape work and portrait work. I would think the K7, with its top-notch environmental sealing, would be a good choice, but there is so little being said about the camera from a video standpoint and so little footage online with which to make reasonable comparisons. Any thoughts from you folks? Again, I'm not asking which is the best video-only camera, but the best compromise or combination of video and stills for my use? Or should I just ditch it all and go 7D? I've thought about that, as it seems to be such a winner, but how long am I going to have to wait to get one from B&H (I have a large credit at B&H, so whatever I get will have to come from there). D300s and K7 can be had today, which means I can begin shooting tomorrow, so to speak. 7D would mean waiting until....?

Thanks.

Robert St-Onge September 10th, 2009 09:04 PM

I am also looking for a DSLR mainly for shooting video. I wanted a Canon 5D MKII, but felt like I would wait a while. But now is the time!!! And I have 3 candidates: K7, 7D or D300s. From the footage I have seen so far, Nikon is out (and all my lenses are Nikon) still jello effect. I am debating about getting the Pentax K7 or the Canon 7D. You might want to check out these videos with the K7:

The Pannzian Masterplan on Vimeo
?? (PENTAX K7 MOVIE) on Vimeo

And the 7D:
Perya (Town Fair) - a Canon 7D Short on Vimeo

All I can say is that it will be a tough decision, Pentax K7 is really amazing, least expensive, it's got a nice image feel but on my part, wished it had 24p, manual iso and manual shutter. Will they come up with a new firmware??? I also have over 30 16gb SDHC cards.

On the other hand, the Canon 7D is a great camera as well, don't know much about availability....It's kind of pre-order now or otherwise it might be a while before you can grab one!

Bill Koehler September 11th, 2009 09:58 AM

I should be an easy sale for Pentax, having a number of Pentax cameras and bodies, but...
after seeing this thread I worked up the following worksheet. Read and comment, please:

Pentax K-7

Power
1. Rechargeable Li-Ion battery D-LI90
2. D-BG4 Battery Grip (optional) for second D-LI90 battery or 6X AA batteries
3. AC adapter available

Flash Card
SD, SDHC

Image Stabilization:
In Camera Body

Codec (Video)
AVI (Motion JPEG ~72 Mbps)

Clip Size/Length
4 GB or 7+ minutes

Frame format/rates
1. 640x416 p30
2. 1280x720 p30
3. 1536x1024 p30

Exposure Methods:
1. Auto, but you can lock it.

Canon 7D

Power
1. One Battery Pack LP-E6
2. AC power can be supplied via AC Adapter Kit ACK-E6 With Battery Grip BG-E7 attached

Flash Card
CF Card Type 1 & 2

Image Stabilization
In Lens

Codec (Video)
MOV (Image data: H.264, Audio: Linear PCM) 40 – 50 Mbps

Clip Size/Length
4 GB or 12+ minutes

Frame format/rates
1. 640 x 480 (SD): 60p (59.94) / 50p
2. 1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p
3. 1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p

Notes: I am a hobbyist, not a professional, so I have no illusions about ever going to theatrical/movie release. This means I am looking for a tool that provides compatibility to TV standards. Living in the USA, this means I will be shooting either 60i or 30p.

What I like about Pentax:
1. Power, easier to hook up to an AC outlet
2. With an external grip, ability to use rechargeable NiMH AA batteries.
3. Use of M-JPEG codec means you don’t need a super-duper high powered computer to handle it.
4. In camera image stabilization. Pentax calls it Shake Reduction. So this important feature is not dependent on the lens.

What I like about Canon:
1. Flexibility of formats. Pretty much anything short of 1080i60 or 1080p60, it provides.
2. Use of a lower bitrate (relative to Pentax) translates into longer time length clips or less storage needed for the same amount of time.
3. My own impression is greater detail in Canon footage, but the Pentax is very good.
4. Greater manual control over ISO, shutter, aperture while shooting.
5. Being Canon, you will get greater after market support than with Pentax.

What I don’t like about Pentax:
1. You don’t see this in web video BUT if you expand that maximum 1536x1024 frame to fill a 1920 x 1080 TV frame so your final output is not pillar-boxed, almost a third of your horizontal lines will have gone off-screen. That’s a fair amount of resolution you are losing. Is that acceptable to you?
2. You don’t have as much exposure control over the image.
3. Your clip length isn’t as long as the Canon.
4. They are in financial trouble - Hoya has publicly announced they would like to sell Pentax to someone else.

What I don’t like about Canon:
1. To tap into AC power you have to buy an extra accessory besides the AC power adapter. You need the Battery Grip BG-E7 attached as well.
2. To handle high bitrate H.264 you will NEED, not want, a high powered computer to play and edit the footage.
3. If you want image stabilization, is that built into the lens(es) you already have?

Robert St-Onge September 11th, 2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 1340402)
What I don’t like about Canon:
1. To tap into AC power you have to buy an extra accessory besides the AC power adapter. You need the Battery Grip BG-E7 attached as well.

Bill, thanks for your detailed layout, very helpful.
But from what I can see in the D7 manual, correct me if I am wrong, but the Battery Grip BG-E7 must be removed from the body in order to attach the adapter.

The kit sells for 119.95$ at B&H, which I find reasonable

canon ack e6

Scott Brickert September 11th, 2009 03:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
I played with both cameras over the past couple weeks.

I found the K7 super easy to use. The controls just work for me. It's almost a one handed camera. The menus flow and are simple to navigate, with very few levels to get into. I had the two new Weather Resistant lenses, which had a good feel, and are small and light. Didn't actually leave them out in the rain, like this guy did, but the seals look reliable (for whatever that observation's worth). Aperture, WB, color and focus are set before each shot in Movie Mode. There are several great Still modes like ISO based control. It's a small, light, form-factor, great for back country work out in the wild. The AVI files were easy to work with in FCP6. You can find a couple clips at my scottbrickert account on YouTube. Shake Reduction is truly impressive (check out the fishing video). It turns every lens into a stabilized lens!

What killed the K7 for me was low light noise. I really liked the camera and wanted it to work, but it just reaches for the noise to easily, reminding me of the GL2, another lightweight wilderness unit that just suffered when the dark clouds move in. Also, none of my old Nikon primes or zooms would fit the K7 reliably.

The D300s is full-sized in form and weight. I found the menus more difficult to navigate, being vertically oriented and requiring multiple levels to access various settings. It requires two hands to adjust ISO or WB, and multiple buttons are placed on the left, out of reach of the right hand. It has four modes Program, Aperture, Shutter and Manual. WB can be custom set, although it's more than a push button operation as found on even the lowly HV20. I never did figure out what's customizable for Movie mode. It might be fully Auto only. I was able to set everything on the screen (Shutter, Aperture, ISO) and during recording, but it did not seem to translate to the picture.

The D300s does really well in low light. It reminded me of the PD170. Very trustworthy.

I ended up returning both in favor of the 7D. Hopefully Canon will produce enough to meet demand. B&H is reporting October delivery as of now.

Here are a couple frame grabs taken during a concert using the K7 and D300s side by side. I did my best to let them both shine, hoping the K7 would look good :)

HTH.

Bill Koehler September 11th, 2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert St-Onge (Post 1341188)
But from what I can see in the D7 manual, correct me if I am wrong, but the Battery Grip BG-E7 must be removed from the body in order to attach the adapter.

The kit sells for 119.95$ at B&H, which I find reasonable

canon ack e6

I can be wrong, but my information was quoted/copied from Canon's information page.
Maybe I misread it. Here's the page:

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR

Look under 'Power Source'.

For what it's worth, here's the Pentax equivalent AC adapter, at less than half the price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...apter_Kit.html

Bill Koehler September 12th, 2009 08:15 PM

Boy did this thread go quiet...I guess we're all waiting for the Canon 7D, aren't we?

Robert St-Onge September 13th, 2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 1346411)
Boy did this thread go quiet...I guess we're all waiting for the Canon 7D, aren't we?

I guess so, still need few more days to sort it out.

I really liked the Pentax K7, working with SDHC cards and .avi files, no need to convert to anything, just transfer and edit! The footage I saw from that cam was really impressive.

But what is most likely killing the K7 for me is the low light noise from Scott's frame grabs and not being able to use my Nikon's prime lenses.

So it may well be the 7D......!

Trip Gould September 13th, 2009 06:36 PM

Have you seen this one?

LE CHAGRIN Test Pentax K7 on Vimeo

Low light. Sure there's noise, but it doesn't bother me so much. It even adds a nice texture in this case... to my eye, at least. I'm sure if you grabbed a still, it wouldn't be so nice...but in motion, not too bad.

Robert St-Onge September 13th, 2009 07:03 PM

Just read in the Pentax K7 manual p. 48:

"To prevent a decrease in image quality, allow the camera to cool down between long exposure shots and movie recording......live views can be displayed for up to five minutes."

or even less if a temperature warning...

Wonder if any K7 owner could comment on this?

Canon seems to have the same problem with Live View and image quality at high ISO, only they don't have a set time limit.

Bill Koehler September 13th, 2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip Gould (Post 1350070)
Have you seen this one?

LE CHAGRIN Test Pentax K7 on Vimeo

... Sure there's noise, but it doesn't bother me so much. It even adds a nice texture in this case... to my eye, at least....

I watched it - I thought the noise was objectionable from about 1:15 to 2:09, especially during closeups. This coincides with a B&W segment.

Scott Brickert September 14th, 2009 12:17 AM

I'll be working on the K-7/HV20 footage for a short clip of the concert early this week.

You can also see other low light concert footage, albeit rendered and compressed for H.264, here. (read the paragraph on YouTube for some production details)

In the mean time, Falk Lumo, an early reviewer of the K-7, and a physicist (IIRC) wrote an IN-DEPTH review of the K-7, putting it through the wringer. He partly addresses the heat issue. The three part video coverage begins here.

HTH

Trip Gould September 14th, 2009 02:33 PM

I agree that the noise is somewhat pronounced, and certainly not as clean as Canon or even Nikon or even Panasonic. I'm wondering how much this is the result of extreme low light conditions, though. In most scenarios, will the Pentax perform admirably? Especially considering my needs for nature/landscape work and available light portraits/street photography...I wonder. I mean, even film will have a certain amount of noise/grain in low light such as the Le Chagrin piece...the B&W portion kind of reminded me of my days of 16mm film work.

To throw another element into the mix for this thread, should we be including the T1i with this batch? It's $400 lighter on the wallet, better in low light (?), and you're buying into the Canon system which means easier upgrades (?) to 7D and the like in the future (if that's something that interests you) with an quicker learning curve, etc. I'm not saying I've been sold on the T1i, but is it worth considering? Now, what it doesn't get you is the pro-quality body of a K7 (weather seals, etc.), and many other high end features, including in-camera stabilization. I guess the question is, do those features equate to $400 for the K7 or almost $1000 for the D300s (without lens) or 7D (without lens)? Is the K7 too much in the middle? Would it be better to save $400 to put towards support gear and get a T1i, or spend a few hundred dollars more to get a 7D or equivalent (i.e., fewer compromises on the video side with manual controls and multiple frame rates and overall better performance)?

By the way, my current favorite T1i video on vimeo: Love | Canon 500D T1i on Vimeo

Bill Koehler September 14th, 2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip Gould (Post 1353203)
To throw another element into the mix for this thread, should we be including the T1i with this batch?

Very possibly.

Given the scaling issues I've pointed out with the Pentax 1536x1024 p30 mode, you could very well end up shooting 720p most of the time precisely because it eliminates those issues. At that point the T1i becomes a very viable alternative that allows you to buy into the Canon eco-system at a much lower pricepoint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip Gould (Post 1353203)
I guess the question is, do those features equate to $400 for the K7 or almost $1000 for the D300s (without lens) or 7D (without lens)? Is the K7 too much in the middle? Would it be better to save $400 to put towards support gear and get a T1i, or spend a few hundred dollars more to get a 7D or equivalent (i.e., fewer compromises on the video side with manual controls and multiple frame rates and overall better performance)?

Of the big three manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Pentax) in-camera stabilization is unique to Pentax. For both Canon and Nikon it is something built into the lens, so it is an obvious enticement for those who already have a number of Pentax compatible lenses. But if you are thinking of ever changing systems, you will be buying new glass to go with it.

The big advantage of the Canon 7D over the Pentax K-7, in my eyes, is giving you standard aspect ratio (16 x 9) footage in all the HD formats it shoots, so you are never having to do weird re-scaling to get it to fit/fill the frame. In my eyes, that's a huge advantage.

Beyond that, only you can say what is worth it to you.
A better way of approaching the question might be, what are your clients most likely to expect?

Trip Gould September 14th, 2009 07:20 PM

Ah, yes, clients. Well, I don't have any. What I mean is, this is really for personal use. If I end up with something I could sell as stock footage, that is fine by me, but I don't plan on making any money with the stuff I shoot...well not a living, at any rate. I make my living as an editor and college professor. Photography has been a hobby of mine since childhood and I'm merely looking to continue to expand upon my experience and skills. I have worked professionally as a videographer, but that's not what this purchase would be for. If I were really trying to make some money with video, it would be with an HPX300 or HM700 or RED or maybe even a step up from all of those. If I ever get the urge to shoot a feature, I'll rent a bonafide cinema style video camera. It's not that I don't appreciate what VDSLRs have done for indie cinema...I think it's awesome. But, until real no compromise hybrid HD DSLRs come out, there's still something to be said for a purpose built video camera. Anyway...

For now, if the camera I purchase can take stunning stills and video (maybe not FF stunning, but stunning enough for mere mortals), can be easily packed up mountains and into extreme conditions, and not break the bank...I guess I'll be happy. If I ever want to take it a step further into pro territory...I'll just purchase the 5Dmk-whatever is out by then.

Also, I think a major consideration for me at this point is how long I'll have to wait for a 7D. Pentax, Nikon, T1i can all be had today...and there's a lot to be said for just getting out there and shooting. Right now, I have nothing but film SLRs (had a Ricoh GRD, but it is now defunct) and a mess of Pentax and Nikon glass sitting around.

Oh, and I did have a question regarding a point that was mentioned earlier with someone having trouble mounting Nikon glass to the Pentax. What was the issue? Why wouldn't Nikon glass mate to a K7 with an appropriate adapter? How was it unreliable? I guess I could sell my Nikon glass (gasp) and pick up some modern Pentax glass instead, but I was hoping to be able to use my long Nikon telephotos.

Thanks again to all for your interest in this topic.

Trip Gould September 16th, 2009 02:09 PM

So, I bought the K7. Got the body and three lenses (DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED WR Zoom Lens, DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Zoom Lens, and SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Series Autofocus Pancake Lens). Battery grip is on back-order, but I'll be getting that, too. Still deciding on a fast wide prime? I have all of my screwmount SMC Super Takumars, but nothing wide enough on a crop camera.

In the end I went with the K7, despite the drawbacks mentioned in this thread, for the following reasons:

1. To my eye, it offers to most natural and pleasing video image.
2. In-camera stabilization, so all my legacy lenses will benefit.
3. Small, lightweight, portable, and weather sealed for my wilderness trips.
4. I admit, I have some Pentax brand loyalty which has lasted for a long time...so there's the warm and fuzzy factor.
5. Price, of course, was a consideration. I got the body and three lenses for about the same price as what I would pay for the 7D, or the D300s without a lens.
6. I can get it now (or next Wednesday, that is) and don't have to wait and wonder how long it will be before a 7D reached my hands (can always get a 7D or whatever is top dog in the future)

There you go...

Bill Koehler September 16th, 2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip Gould (Post 1361336)
1. To my eye, it offers to most natural and pleasing video image.

Great!
Quote:

2. In-camera stabilization, so all my legacy lenses will benefit.

I understand that one - and I do think it is a big positive.
Quote:

3. Small, lightweight, portable, and weather sealed for my wilderness trips.

I saw one at Fry's Electronics recently and was impressed with how small and compact it was compared to the Canon 5D Mark II that was nearby.
Quote:

4. I admit, I have some Pentax brand loyalty which has lasted for a long time...so there's the warm and fuzzy factor.

I know the feeling...bought my first Pentax in 1977.
Quote:

5. Price, of course, was a consideration. I got the body and three lenses for about the same price as what I would pay for the 7D, or the D300s without a lens.

Money always talks.
Quote:

6. I can get it now (or next Wednesday, that is) and don't have to wait and wonder how long it will be before a 7D reached my hands (can always get a 7D or whatever is top dog in the future)

I think you now owe us some footage ;-)

Scott Brickert September 16th, 2009 08:41 PM

Well done Trip. It's fun pulling the trigger on a big purchase, after all the research, isn't it?

Looking forward to your experiences with it.

Trip Gould September 16th, 2009 09:58 PM

Yeah, I can tell you I was getting a headache from reading all the forums, reviews, specs, pouring over vimeo, and everything, researching all the various camera. It feels GREAT to have actually made the purchase!

And you can bet I'll be making the most out of it with every free moment I get. Any special requests for tests? Anything you'd like to see but haven't come across on vimeo or youtube, yet? I'll also be testing the Shake method for converting to 24P that many have been using for the 5DmkII footage...just for curiosity's sake. And if you have any questions about the camera that I can answer once it is in hand, send them along.

I'll try to post an initial experiences review of my own with some footage, etc., as soon as possible.

Trip Gould September 18th, 2009 03:53 PM

And now the K-x comes out with a 24P frame rate. Think it will gave the same basic image quality? The combination of both would open up my frame rate options (K7 for doc, K-x for narrative), but will the K-x pale in comparison or is the only significant difference build quality and additional semi-pro features? Only time will tell, I guess. Anyone see any footage from the K-x, yet?

Scott Brickert September 18th, 2009 04:54 PM

Looks to me like they got it backwards. 24p belongs in the higher end camera where users are more likely to invest the time and effort to learn how to shoot it well. 30p is more forgiving, therefore more for home users. The lack of external audio means using full dual system to get good audio.

It's not weatherized, but is lighter weight. I like the AA battery option, but with batteries I bet it's heavier than the K7. Actually I take it back...580g with batteries, as opposed to K7's 670g. No green AF-assist light.

The two command dials are missing, so I bet navigating the menu's is clunkier (could be wrong though).

Red would be good during hunting season, or actually anytime the leaves are knee deep :) I'd go for purple if they had it.....but wait, turns out there's a rumor of 20 colors plus combo's in Japan

Dave Blackhurst September 18th, 2009 05:46 PM

Certainly an interesting camera, particularly at the price point! I've got some old Pentax gear floating around, used to have some decent lenses... maybe one of these would be useful - like to see how well it holds up image quality wise...

Now Sony looks even more pathetic with their utter failure to join the DSLR-V ranks... really second guessing my investment in the Alpha line...

Scott Brickert September 18th, 2009 09:32 PM

Dave,
maybe Sony Consumer Video will leap frog the whole heap and bring out the first APS-C prosumer camcorder with mini stereo jack, full manual control, and interchangeable SLR lenses... All for $2250. The new VX2100...

OK, prob'ly not.

Dave Blackhurst September 19th, 2009 12:39 AM

I'm just befuddled as to what Sony is thinking, with lots of other DSLR's hitting the market with video... and all the new Alpha releases, you'd think they'd put a toe in the water at least. It shouldn't have been rocket science to incorporate the capability to shoot video. An update to the a350 with video and the "R" CMOS would have had my business... maybe next year... or not. I can't help but think they really blew it this go round.

I am really at the point of seeing the value of a DSLR-V - for many purposes it makes a lot of sense. I'll be watching reviews of the K-x, for the price it might be a real bargain, if the video holds up well.

Trip Gould September 21st, 2009 02:30 PM

So, I'm thinking about external audio now. Any recommendations? I've read good things about the H4n and the juicedlink. However, most of the reviews deal with the quality as it relates to dialogue. How about as a portable audio device to capture nat sound in the field? Any thoughts?

Scott Brickert September 21st, 2009 05:51 PM

I have the H4n and the CX231.

I'd call the H4n more versatile, self-contained, user-friendly, controllable, 'weatherizable'. It has a stereo mic built in (you could use it right out of the box for general, close, wild sound, or add a better shotgun mic for getting that bugling elk 100 yards off in the brush). It can record to SD card while sending a signal out to the K7.

The CX231 produces super-clean audio, as in, if you want those birds singing 30 yards away, and you have the right mic, you'll get a super-clean signal with minimal noise. It's build is on the rough side, the controls are easy to bump, I tend to forget to check the 'hard-to-see' ON lamp, so the batteries run dead (my workflow issue, but if the LED was more visible, it'd be easier to notice). It takes a couple hours of practice to get it right. There's no mic, so you'd need to buy one, plus think about how to mount it.

In both cases you'll likely use the output jack to go into the K7. This means there is zero monitoring while shooting. I screwed up some concert audio by not double checking first.

I've worked with the CX231 and it does produce superclean, hiss-free audio. I've not played that closely with the H4n to see if I could match that performance.

There are zero controls on the K7's audio, so it's not possible to bypass or minimize it's audio gain circuitry. This might mean all the benefit of the CX231's clean pre-amps get negated by the K7's AGC.

In practical terms, having both as an option, I found myself favoring the H4n in Auto mode for the several quick shoots I did to test the K7 and D300s.

Trip Gould September 21st, 2009 07:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. It does seem like the H4n is the more versatile and highly regarded. That may be the way to go for me. I'll always have the option of getting a shotgun mic later on to get more directional capture. And, though the K7 has AGC, I can record direct to SD card and just synch up in post. I come from a film background when it comes to motion photography, so dual system is no big deal for me.

Any experience with the Rode Video Mic?

Also, as for tripod/head, I was looking at this guy: Gitzo | G2220 Explorer Alumimum 3 Section Tripod/Rapid | G2220

Seems lightweight and versatile and great for packing into the wild, but am wondering what head would match well with it? I need something that can do video as well as stills, obviously, so I don't know if a ball head is enough. Sticking with Gitzo there's the (Gitzo | G2380 Video Fluid Head | G2380 | B&H Photo Video) There's the 501 Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 745XB MDeVe Video Tripod with | B&H) and 701 (Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 190XDB with 701HDV Video Tripod) fluid heads from Manfrotto, and I was also looking at Libec (Libec | LS-22(2A) Professional Tripod System | LS-22(2A) | B&H)

Seeing as I'm looking to spend around $500 on the pair (I know, not that much money, but it's all I can afford right now), any recommendations on the tripod/head combo situation?

Scott Brickert September 21st, 2009 07:43 PM

Can't speak from experience on the Gitzo gear, but I've heard good things about the 2380.

My first tripod was the Bogen 3221, with the 501 head. I still use it for locked down shots. It gets really low and really tall.

Next was the 755 MDeVe with the 503 head (old style). I still have it and use it. All the 2008 episodes of The Mystery Travel Show were shot on it. Carries very well into the woods, and the built in ball leveller speeds setup.

Last winter I bit the bullet and bought a Vinten/Sachtler rig. Super heavy, and great performer.

The Bogen 503HDV head is an excellent place to start. With illuminated level and next gen friction technology, it'd likely last you several years or more, depending on how finicky you get with long lense work. B&H offers several excellent combos. I'd recommend a 3502 ball leveller for the rigs that don't have a ball leveller built in.

Trip Gould September 23rd, 2009 07:22 PM

Just to update, I ended up going with the 055XDB Pro Tripod with 503HDV Fluid Video Head (Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | BO055XB503H 055XDB Pro Tripod with)

I liked the reviews on the Libec, and if I could afford the Libec HS38 combo I might have gone with that, but this Bogen combo seemed more versatile and more appropriate to what I would be using it for.

Scott Brickert September 23rd, 2009 10:19 PM

I thought maybe today was your Big Grin Day, when the K7 would be in your hands.

That tripod will do you well, and the head also. If you'd like a new 3502 ball leveler, I'm selling one in the Classifieds. 50 bucks plus FedEx Ground, PayPal. It will make your life alot simpler every time you set up the sticks. :) {or a trade for one of your old Nikon manual lenses...}

I'm looking forward to your experiences with the new gear. Once you've posted a couple projects i'll have a couple questions for ya.

Happy Days

Trip Gould September 24th, 2009 10:05 AM

Though the camera did arrive yesterday, I was not around to receive it so I'll be swinging by UPS today to pick it up myself. Rest assured, it will be in my hands before the day is through.

I have a trip out of town coming up next weekend to the mountains, and I'll be bringing the camera along (of course), so you can expect some form of footage shortly thereafter. And again, if there are any specific tests people would like to see done, I'd be more than happy to accommodate if I can.

Scott--I'll think about the ball leveler and the possible trade for some of my old Nikon glass. I don't think anyone ever did weigh in on the comment about the Nikon glass not being suitable for the K7. Was there any further info on that?

Scott Brickert September 24th, 2009 10:09 AM

I'd recommend you try the Nikons yourself and see if you can get them to work. That would be cool if they did. I had no luck with it.

Trip Gould September 24th, 2009 12:38 PM

What exactly was the issue you had with the Nikons? And what adapter were you using?

Scott Brickert September 24th, 2009 08:12 PM

No adapter. I didn't trust any I saw on eBay, from previous experience with similar looking FD adapters. I read on the Pentax forum it's possible to just hook it up. But I think some surgery on the Nikon is required (grind off some tabs). Maybe you'll get it to work.

Joe Ogiba September 25th, 2009 06:31 PM

I use a Bogen 475/501 tripod /head combo with my Pentax K-7.
photo

Trip Gould September 29th, 2009 03:01 AM

Any experience with the following:

Lowepro | Super Trekker AW II Backpack | LP19800-PEF | B&H Photo

National Geographic | NG-5737 Earth Explorer Large | NG 5737

Clik Elite | Large Hiker Backpack (Gray) | CE402GR | B&H Photo

Kata | HB-205 GDC Hiker Backpack | KT HB-205 | B&H Photo Video

Lowepro | DryZone Rover Backpack (Yellow) | LP34733-PEF | B&H

Looking for something that can carry camera gear and camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, and basic necessities like socks and layers) that will stand up to the elements well. I know the Kata has a modular system that allows you to add hip and chest bags to the backpack. The Lowepro claims waterproof (good idea for my canoe trips). The Click seems to be the most like a true hiking pack. Surprisingly, the NatGeo got some really shining reviews on B&H.

Scott Brickert September 29th, 2009 07:38 AM

I've never used any of them. I just use a backpack and fit things in. Nor have I ever done a multi-day trip with camera gear. Someday, hopefully.

Bruce Foreman September 29th, 2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip Gould (Post 1412391)
Any experience with the following:

Lowepro | DryZone Rover Backpack (Yellow) | LP34733-PEF | B&H

The Lowepro claims waterproof (good idea for my canoe trips).

The Lowepro "waterproof" is typically a thin raincover that is tucked in behind a zipper until you need it. Pulled out and stretched over most of the bag it provides some rain protection but would not protect against a good drenching or immersion. I have one Lowepro shoulder bag with that feature.

OOPS! Edited to correct above!!!

I just looked at the link to the Lowepro and they describe a lower waterproof compartment and do claim it can protect in case of immersion.

My newest is a Lowepro Micro Trekker with no rain protection. Last week I carried a large plastic bag in one of the pockets in case of rain.

Trip Gould October 1st, 2009 12:16 PM

For now, I went with this: Mountainsmith | Tour FX Camera Bag | 08-81045-01 | B&H Photo

Or, actually, the more up to date version than the one they have pictured. I'm still looking for a full multi-day camping solution, but this will take care of the local hikes and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. It seems well built, got nice reviews, and has quite a bit of room in it. If I carry only the three lenses and the body, I can even get the 503HDV head in there and I can strap the legs across the top. I'll probably end up getting the "strapettes" or whatever they call them to make it into a backpack style rig when it's all that I'm carrying, but the lumbar strap/shoulder strap combo is pretty comfortable as is (he says without actually having hiked more than a few feet with it, yet). So far, so good.

Trip Gould October 1st, 2009 12:32 PM

By the way, I've added this one to the list of all-in-one packs: Petrol | PCBP-2N "Broadcast Trailer" | PCBP-2N | B&H

It seems more than adequate for a full camera package and enough clothes/camping gear for a multi-day. Looks like I could lash quite a bit to the outside, too. Still tracking down reviews on it, though.