Who's using a D90 with a manual aperture lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Who's using a D90 with a manual aperture lens?

Still toying with the idea of a D90.

The lack of manual control still bugs me, so im wondering whos using this with a manual apparture lens?

As far as I know, I can lock down the iso/shutter, and with a 'old fashion' lens, I can step up and down.

Just wondering who's doing this? What lenses are you using?

Thanks
James
James Millward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi James,

I can't answer your question but I'm in the same boat... have been following the video-DSLR's closely and have the opportunuty to get a lightly used D5000 very cheap. I will plan on using it with manual lenses only for video.

One thing I am unsure of, which I can't seem to find out anywhere, is whether the correct shutterspeed or ISO is displayed on screen during live view. I could easily live with he AE-L trick if there are accurate readngs to tell me when I should lock the exposure. My guess is that the displayed shutter speed/ISO are not accurate and the auto-settings will do whatever they please without telling you and you just have to guess when to hit AE-L.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #3
Trustee

I'm sure the Canons are better but if I was going to spend AU$2500+ for a DSLR just for video then I would prefer a GH1. At $900 body only for the D5000 it really is no comparison to $2500 for the 7d Body only.

$1600 is a huge leap in cost and to me is the difference between owning a good DSLR (which happens to do nice looking vdeo, too) and not owning a DSLR at all.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Major Player

D90

I bought a D90 a couple months ago, and am just now getting around to shooting video with it.

Literally, this is my second day to shoot a bit of footage. As best I can tell, the D90 doesn't give any info as to what it is shooting in terms of aperture and shutter speed... of course the "Live View" mode must be enabled and I'm trying to wade through everything.

At this point, I know I can start shooting and zoom in and out and focus if I need to with the rings on the 18-105mm Kit lens.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video