Say hello to the new Nikon D3S: 720P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old October 11th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Trustee

Shooting VIDEO with NIKON D3

I think the following should be of interest to all lovers of Nikkor glass who would like to read and view options available for using Nikon DSLR bodies (other than D5000, D90 or D300s) without the need to buy Canon bodies with adapters, yet still able to maintain full-frame HD like the Canon 5D Mark II.

There are some very interesting videos (stop-motion) shot by Andrew Kornylack using the Nikon D3 DSLR that can be seen on his website at:

Andrew Kornylak Photography - Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Andrew mentions about his work using the Nikon D3 on his blog "...It is pretty close to a video look, but a little different. I can shoot with strobes (like in the Nikki Blue commercial), and the color depth of even a cropped jpeg is better than the best HD video frame. I can make 11×14 prints from a frame grab, which sweetens the pot for a client looking to do a still and motion shoot without an outrageous production..."

Note also that the Nikon D3 "S" update with HD 24fps video mode and 14 fps still shot motordrive (rumoured for launch next week) should offer even better full-frame extreme quality stop-motion options than the present D3, in addition of course to normal HD video.
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Trustee

It looks like the new D3s has 1280×720 pixel resolution at 24fps (no 1080p!)...and there was me wishing for 25p or 50 for all of us outside USA... I can't quite understand Nikon's reason for this as it will upset quite a lot of us waiting for full HD video version of Nikon's flagship professional camera for "Pal"-land.

The launch price in UK will be around £4,200 body only, although this will of couse lower within a short time after launch date.
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Say hello to the new Nikon D3S: 720P

Say hello to the new Nikon D3S that shoots AVI motion-jpeg at 720p. See:

Nikon unveils D3S high-speed pro DSLR: Digital Photography Review
Bill Sepaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Last week, I finally broke down and bought a 7D. I had been holding off until the fabled Nikon 700x was revealed. This news makes me feel justified in my decision. For some inexplicable reason, Nikon appears to be sticking with 720p.
Lance Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Trustee

..I also didn't see a mention of manual control.

p.s. Welcome to dvinfo Lance. I see its your first post.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Originally posted to the 7D forum, who knows why. Moved to Photo for HD Video where it belongs.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Trustee

All you need to know from a video standpoint:

Full Frame Sensor
720 24p
M-JPEG
Full Manual Control (or so it seems)
ISO 200 - 12800
$5,000 usd (give or take)

This cam is targeted at the high end photo crowd and news gathering. The movie mode doesn't seem to be for most of us, especially at that price point.

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #8
Trustee

Just in case you want to see a video preview of this camera, take a look here

Digital Photography at photo-i
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #9
Trustee

New Nikon D3s

Just in case any of you have missed this news annoucement. The new Nikon D3s now supports video capture too, albeit only 1280x720p @24fps. Here is a short video I produced yesterday (on my EX3). Unfortunately Nikon would not let us publish pictures taken with the camera as it's a pre-production sample.

Enjoy

Digital Photography at photo-i
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #10
Trustee

Have they improved on the codec and on rolling shutter jello?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #11
Trustee

I find this interesting:
"Completely configurable to set up, but extremely simple to use, Nikon’s acclaimed high-density 51-point Multi-CAM3500 AF system, with 15- highly sensitive cross points, provides users with an industry leading system for tracking fast moving subjects. The D3S contrast detection AF system has also been tuned to provide autofocus support during movie capture and Live View."
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #12
Trustee

In a short word No. The increase in sensor sensitivity was very impressive, and this could be used on the movie mode too. The sample video clips Nikon showed us, were shot at night and displayed a good saturation of colour. However, the night shots shot of a bear in the wild were very noisy, the grain almost became a distraction. Having said that, the alternative would have been to shoot using a nightvision camera, this would produce an overall green image. On a couple of city shots I noticed a rolling shutter effect, this could be seen on the neon light scenes.

I think Nikon are on the right path, if only they would increase the video resolution to FullHD (1920x1080) then I think it would appeal to the video cameraman too. I did push the limited video resolution question to Nikon at the Q&A session, I noticed several journalists lowering themselves in their seats - maybe I was pushing Nikon too far.

Must remember to behave myself next time.
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #13
Trustee

Well, it looks like I was right...720P and ony 24fps. Some major 'tweaks' to the orginal, but nothing mindblowing against the still photo options of the original D3. Also no full manual control over the video, although some nicer control options than the D300s. Whether it will have better quality than the D300s in 720P we will have to see, but I expect so, although the D3s' AF tracking during video will help in some situations - and that incredible high ISO capabability will improve dynamic range in low light levels - plus improvements over the rolling-shutter syndrome in earlier DSLRs.

Nikon speel:

"...Share the Vision with D-Movie Creativity
Whether on the frontlines or sidelines, the amazing ISO range of the D3S can also be applied while recording HD video clips to give unprecedented low-light ability for movie clips. The refined D-Movie mode for the FX-format offers smooth 1280x720 video at a cinematic 24fps, with a new algorithm that severely reduces the phenomenon of "rolling shutter" typical to D-SLRs while panning. The motion JPEG codec allows for easy extraction of single frames from a video clip and the ability to save it as a JPEG file, while the 720p HD format eases storage, provides faster wireless transfers, and offers video files that are generally easier to use in the field. Photographers can also trim movie clips on the fly by revising the start and end points, and save the edited clip as a copy while maintaining the original. Additionally, the D3S features a built-in monaural microphone, augmented by a stereo microphone input, which is perfect for hot-shoe microphone mounting or the use of wireless microphones for interviews or spot news.'

'Photographers and film makers alike will appreciate the full aperture control from a wide f/1.4 to f/16, as the FX-format sensor renders low-noise movie clips with outstanding clarity, aided by the large selection of renowned NIKKOR lenses to produce a dramatic depth of field. High Sensitivity Movie Mode allows the utilization of the entire ISO range to capture otherwise hidden details in challenging lighting conditions, more effectively than cameras with smaller sensors. Now, users can benefit from available natural light for applications such as telling a story in a journalistic style in the field or to create a gritty film noir masterpiece without CGI post production. While recording, users also have the ability to control exposure, and will enjoy the added benefits of improved contrast-detect type AF while in Tripod Live View mode."

The first NIKON D3s Review is out:

Nikon D3s review

The Nikon D3s can shoot video in the extended 102,400 ISO range...which is incredible and means that you can film during the night without a tripod! Yes, there will of course be extra grain/noise at that level, but it will be a big plus for nature filmers who need to shoot without lights.

Movie clips taken using D3s, including the Bill Frakes Ozzie movie:

D3S from Nikon

Last edited by Tony Davies-Patrick; October 14th, 2009 at 06:39 AM.
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #14
Vortex Media

Here's some 720P footage I shot with the Nikon D300s last month.
I suspect the new D3s will perform about the same, but it's no subsitute for a real video camera.

Old October 14th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #15
Vortex Media

That's weird. Why does this show up as an embedded video instead of a link to Vimeo?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video