D90 Firmware update for manual control? Will they ever!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

D90 Firmware update for manual control? Will they ever!?

Unless Ive missed something, am I right in saying that there is no firmware update for the D90 to offer manual control?

If not why not?! Why wont Nikon do this?

This camera, despite its short comings would make a great cam to get into video, as there is little else at this price point.

Let me know guys
James
James Millward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:35 AM   #2
New Boot

exposure lock.

I actually set my exposure lock button so that I can hit it once to lock exposure(there is a menu to set that. I use a grey card to set exposure . There are some limited controls over exposure but not much. You can keep checking nikonrumors.com . They generally have the latest info on new products, firmware updates etc...
Stephen F. Bodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Trustee

The just announced Canon T2i with an 18-55mm lens at $899 solves most of the "control" problems that are the basis of complaints on most of the "entry" level video DSLRs so far.

Aperture, shutter, and ISO can all be set independently, NTSC frame rates of 24p, 30p, and at 720p 60fps, PAL frame rates of 25, 25p, and again at 720p 50fps. Focusing is best done manually in video mode even though there is autofocus albeit somewhat limited in video mode.

And mic input for external stereo mic although you have to "get along" with AGC, but still a vast improvement over the Canon T1i audio, and that of the Nikon D90.

Firmware "upgrade" may not feasibly address the changes we would like to see. Canon did it somewhat in the 5D MkII, giving that cam's owners manual control and they are feverishly trying to program an upgrade to improve frame rate selection, but that's a $2700 body!

I wouldn't look for or hope for firmware to add function to the "entry level" gear.

But that Canon T2i has caused a lot of heads to "snap up". I'd jump on it if I didn't already have a Canon 7D.

Last edited by Bruce Foreman; February 22nd, 2010 at 06:07 PM.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video