D7000 accessorizing for video...suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old March 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

D7000 accessorizing for video...suggestions?

Have quite a few Nikon lenses, and was looking for suggestions/advice for accessorizing the D7000 for video use. These are my Nikon primes/zooms, for whatever that's worth: Sigma 10-20/3.5, Sigma Super Wide II 24/2.8, Tokina Macro 35/2.8, Nikon 50/1.8, Nikon E-series 100/2.8, Nikon 70-210/4.

Follow Focus/Rails/VF/Matte Box:

The go-to options in the sub-Zacuto range seem to be the, Cinevate Durus, Shoot35, and Redrock Micro v2 as far as follow focuses go.

Letus looks like they have a nice rails system for around $650 or so plus a nice VF option in the Hawk (not sure how compatible this is with the D7000, however, as basically all the user reviews are from when the 5D/7D ruled the roost, since the D90 was so subpar for video use).

For sure, budget is a concern right now. Given the choice I'd rather go cheaper on a rails system, and Matte Box for now; such as what the Indian Proaim offers...and spend more in regards to the follow focus.

Btw, I have an older DV Multirig Pro, without the optional shoulder mount. Wondering if any of you have had any success using the DV Multirig for DSLR use. Ughh...the costs are just neverending. I just haven't been in the loop on the whole camera side of things for ages now, instead just focusing on providing a combined sound/lighting package for the local indie scene. I just don't have the time to be focusing on shooting at all for probably 2 more years, but need a higher res camera than my old D70 (not video related) right now. Because of this, and since I already have Nikon lenses...and seeing as now that Nikon has a viable DSLR video camera out now, the D7000 makes sense. Basically, I used to get asked all the time if I had a HVX to "rent" (i.e. bring along with me to gigs, for just a bit more to save them the money and hassle of going to a rental house), when that was the "in" camera. I figure since I already have a decent set of lenses to begin with, it might actually pay off to "invest" a bit more into accessorizing the D7000 for video use...*but* only up to a point. Basically, I've learned that if you go *too* cheap, you basically just eat money, as no one's willing to pay more unless you just throw it in for free. If you go too expensive, then it's more than is in the budget (I basically just decided to focus on getting more of the indie pie, as my "niche," a few years ago; by being the "everything else but the camera" guy...rather than specializing here in LA...LA's just too competitive to think about putting all your eggs in camera stuff if you can't put your heart and soul into it, because the next latest and greatest, is always right around the corner). So, yeah, basically, it's a very fine line...BUT, I just don't have the time to be researching all this as in depth as I normally would right now.

Anyway, as far as battery life: what kind of battery life are you guys getting out of the D7000 when using it for video? In other words, how many extra batteries/chargers do you need to comfortably get through a typical production day (by indie film world standards, that's a lot of hours, lol). Man I really wish they had a multi-charger. Any issues with overheating?

What about memory cards? What size/speed/brand, how many, etc. do you guys recommend for comfortably getting through a typical production day?

And, ehh, this is a bit iffy; but, how do you think the D7000 would do for shooting tennis (and, maybe dance as well) instructional DVD's? I have a XH-A1 that I've kept around for just this purpose...even this isn't necessarily ideal, being HDV and all; but compared to a DSLR, it's a whole lot more suited.

Anyway, I recognize the DSLR's really aren't advisable for this sort of thing, but at this point, since I need the D7000 to take some pretty critical pictures; the only way I'd be able to "get in range" to accessorize the D7000 for video use is by selling my A1.

Sorry for the length, and thanks for any input/advice.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: D7000 accessorizing for video...suggestions?

I'd say for instructional DVDs you would want to stay with something you can follow the action easier, especially what you were referring to in tennis and dance. You would want something you can change the speed of the video(slo-mo) etc. I think a conventional video camera is more suited to shoot fast moving action. An instructional dvd is more for the instruction it's giving and not so much the beauty of each shot(DOF, rack focusing, etc.). I have DSLR's and video cameras, because just like a carpenter or mechanic, not one tool is suited to be the do all for any job. Know your tools and know how to apply them to each situation. I think the DSLR could be useful with the video camera to create instructional, since you could do a rapid fps still shoot during a dance move or tennis serve, etc. and get less blur during the movement. You could change the shutter speed on the video camera, but I think you'd get a cleaner shot with a DSLR, you just need a higher fps stills.
Ben Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: D7000 accessorizing for video...suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Kim View Post
Anyway, as far as battery life: what kind of battery life are you guys getting out of the D7000 when using it for video? In other words, how many extra batteries/chargers do you need to comfortably get through a typical production day (by indie film world standards, that's a lot of hours, lol). Man I really wish they had a multi-charger. Any issues with overheating?
With room to spare we get around 2.5hours per battery. You can push it up to 3 hours+ but since we do event shooting we tend to swap early to avoid inopportune forced switches. Better to switch at 20% during a lull in events than have to swap during a speech or dance.

Quote:
What about memory cards? What size/speed/brand, how many, etc. do you guys recommend for comfortably getting through a typical production day?
We're using Transcend 16gb Class 10 cards. We've had no problems with them. Each holds about 110 minutes of footage and each camera operator carries 5 of them giving us around 9 hours of capacity. We supplement them with Transcend 8gb Class 10 cards as backups and for audio recorders/alternate cameras.

Quote:
And, ehh, this is a bit iffy; but, how do you think the D7000 would do for shooting tennis (and, maybe dance as well) instructional DVD's? I have a XH-A1 that I've kept around for just this purpose...even this isn't necessarily ideal, being HDV and all; but compared to a DSLR, it's a whole lot more suited.
I see no reason why it wouldn't be able to do it. The jello effect that people complain about is WAAAYYYY exaggerated. I've hung a D7000 out a moving jeep and had no problems with fast moving subjects or scenery though maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're concerns are. What makes you think that a D7000 can't shoot dance or tennis? If you are wanting over-cranked footage than yes a D7000 would not be ideal since it can't over-crank at all.

Quote:
Anyway, I recognize the DSLR's really aren't advisable for this sort of thing, but at this point, since I need the D7000 to take some pretty critical pictures; the only way I'd be able to "get in range" to accessorize the D7000 for video use is by selling my A1.
Get external audio. Seriously - the D7000's onboard audio capture (even with an external microphone) is lousy. A Rode VideoMic plugged into the camera sounds terrible when compared to it plugged into a Zoom or Tascam recorder.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Stephen Daugherty; August 10th, 2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typos!
Stephen Daugherty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video