Shooting with the d7k nikon to have better color grading options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old August 16th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #1
Trustee

Shooting with the d7k nikon to have better color grading options

Hola,

i read everywhere thecanonists shoot a lot of FLAT stuff to have better control on the grading in post.......
So what are your thoughts about that? Any d7000 users have any suggestion for us?
Thx a lot
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Shooting with the d7k nikon to have better color grading options

It's called TassinFlat and you can find out about it here:
Shoot flat on your Nikon D7000 and then edit flat in Final Cut Pro, grade in Color

Alternatively shoot in the neutral picture style and expose correctly. Either way the bigger barrier for grading will be the 8bit color than the mode you shoot in.
Stephen Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Wow, so Nikon is what we were waiting for!
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Assuming the sensor has a wider range then the encoding allows, would you not make better use of these bits by grading before encoding?
Frans Meijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Major Player

I shot with super flat/advanced flat/cinestyle variants... and in the long run I get it as close to the final product as I can in the camera. Saves time. If you want flat footage thats your call but I find it an unecessary step anymore if you can get it in the camera.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans Meijer View Post
Assuming the sensor has a wider range then the encoding allows, would you not make better use of these bits by grading before encoding?
No because the video that comes off the camera (Nikon or Canon) is already compressed to an 8bit color space. The sensors themselves capture much more than 8bit data but this is thrown away (much in the same way it is thrown away in the transition from RAW to on camera JPEG).

It is best to transcode into a higher bit-depth format so that you can have more room to grade without introducing banding. This process interestingly generates colors that were thrown away or didn't exist in the original capture improving your overall quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
I shot with super flat/advanced flat/cinestyle variants... and in the long run I get it as close to the final product as I can in the camera. Saves time. If you want flat footage thats your call but I find it an unecessary step anymore if you can get it in the camera.
Shooting to get it right "in camera" is viable but you are limiting your post production capabilities. If you only use a single camera (or multiple cameras of the same make/model) you can get away with this. If however you are inter-cutting between multiple cameras of different make/model or applying very much post-processing your images will quickly fall apart. I've found that trying to get it right in the camera inevitably leads to more time in post-production fixing things than shooting for post-production in the first place.

More succinctly shooting flat and then post-processing saves us time and gives more room to be creative in our work.

Last edited by Stephen Daugherty; September 6th, 2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Adding reply to Justin
Stephen Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Trustee

Question:

where can i find the TAX FLAT file to put on the camera?
Once i set This superflat recording to shoot videos then i have to switch to take a picture, i'll have the camera always set to that Flat picture profile and the picture will be very flat or once i switch from video to camera the pictures will be with normal sature profile?
Many thanks
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video