HELP! want to build a computer! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 24th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #16
Regular Crew

it was actually at costco! i just went in there to browse around, and i seen this. It was the "MULTIMEDIA DIGITAL STUDIO" package. It had a serial number, although i dont remember it. ill go check it out again today, and return with all the information.
John Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:04 AM   #17
Major Player

Capture cards

Learn from mistake...avoid the Canopus DV Raptor RT like the plague. I have a system that conforms exactly to the Canopus HCL, and I've nvere managed to get the card to work satisfactorily. In fact, I've removed it in favour of a plain OHCI card, which at least works. You should get a similar effect with the onboard Firewire ports.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2003, 03:42 PM   #18
Wrangler

John,

You could build a better system yourself for under US$2,000 if you're up to it, otherwise the VAIOs are very nice, but you do pay for the name. If you're going to go with a "name" brand, you might as well use one of the sponsors of this website: DV Info Sponsors There's a few other recommendations by the members around here but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

<<<-- Originally posted by John Garcia : ... what does everyone think about the sony VAIO machines? I seen a pretty nice one yesterday. P4 3ghz HT 1gb ram 120 gb hd dvd+r/cd+r 6 usb ports memory tick reader 2 ilink ports mouse keyboard speakers and an 18 inch tft lcd monitor - price - 2500-->>>
Old May 25th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I would avoid TFT monitors for now...There expense is too high and they dont offer a picture that has the resolution of a CRT....There not bad for gaming I have one myself for that purpose but when it comes to pro level content creation the CRT is still King....Well atleast for now.I would suggest searching the Forums and taking a look at Rob Wilsons rig that he just built. Its a DV screamer. He has all of the things that I wish that I had. But who knows now that theres the special upgrade pricing I may trade in the RT2500 for a RTX100.

If your considering going with video hardware take a look at www.videoguys.com and digitalvideoediting.com they both have a great shootout on Capture cards
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #20
Major Player

If it helpes, here is what I just did for my new NLE systems:

P4 3.0c ($500)
Gigabyte i875p MB ($250) with dual channel DDR 400 support
2 x 512MB Kingston HyperX CL2 PC3200 ($110 each)

The Gigabyte has on board USB 2.0 and TI 1394 chip.

I carried over my hard drives which I have 2 x 80GB WD RAID 1 for OS and apps then I have 2 WD 180GB drives one for capture other for rendering and editing to.

The 800MHz FSB and the Hyperthreading now allow me to captureand or render and do anything else witht he system extremely responsive and no dropped frames! The system under Vegas 4 and the included Mainconcept codec eseentially renders VBR MPEG2 at almost real time so a 60 min video renders in about 70 min.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Wow, thanks for all the replies, I guess I will just study up on which NLE I want, check out the requirements, then piece my system together.

One more question, Which should I get first? The camera, or the computer? lol...similar to the "egg and the chicken" question.
John Garcia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC