Buyer's Remorse... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buyer's Remorse...

A while back I read that the Quadro fx line of video cards worked very well with most NLEs (because of OpenGL support) So, I purchased a fx3450 off ebay(Dell pull) for about $350. After reading more, it seems almost everyone is recommending the far cheaper 8600 series nvidia cards. My question is, is the fx overkill? Did I purchase an expensive card that isnt really neccessary? It seems as if I read that Adobe and Avid both utilize the card very well, but not so much for Vegas. Unfortunately, Vegas is about all I use now, yet I will be using both others soon. So, should I try to resell this card on Ebay, and us the extra cash for something else?
Robert Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yet again............

a totally unanswerable question. If the card works, use it. If it doesn't - get rid of it. If you don't have/ use the software that can take advantage of it, get rid of it if you need the cash. If you're going to be getting the software that can use it, keep it.

Bottom line - what do you want to do? This stuff is simply tools to do a job, nothing more, nothing less. It isn't about mag wheels, paint jobs or bored out cylinders. They're tools. If you need 'em, get 'em. If you don't, well, you're wasting your money. But hey, it's your money!

What more can I say?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Only MBE2 (magic bullet editor's 2) in Vegas will take advantage of the card. Everything else is processed on the CPU.

2- The card will lose value if it sits around.

3- It might be better to get the gaming cards instead of the workstation cards... the hardware is pretty similar, except the firmware + drivers for the workstation cards unlock certain features or optimize the performance for workstation use (which is sometimes bad for gaming performance).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Brandon View Post
... It seems as if I read that Adobe and Avid both utilize the card very well, but not so much for Vegas. Unfortunately, Vegas is about all I use now, yet I will be using both others soon...
If you are going to use Avid, you should definitely hold on to that card.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
If you are going to use Avid, you should definitely hold on to that card.
Thanks for a perfectly clear answer to an unanswerable question;)
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #6
Trustee

Vegas does not care what your video card is; you could use your motherboard's integrated card and spend the money on a fast HD for better performance.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Brandon View Post
Thanks for a perfectly clear answer to an unanswerable question;)
If you have Avid, keep it. If you MIGHT be buying Avid in the future, then you could throw it back up on ebay and see what you can get for it.

Still, it seems like a lot of hassle, unless you can get some good $ for the card.
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I do have AVID now, but I normally use vegas. I am learning Avid little by little, with plans of being able to use it exclusively. I appreciate the responses, and I guess Ill just keep it. I thought there may be advantages to using a newer game card that I wouldn't be taking advantage of. However it appears that its vice versa, so as long as Ill be using avid, I might as well have it. Thanks
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #9
Trustee

Robert, that sounds like a good decision, IMHO. Anyway, you got an outrageously good price on that card. And to run Avid, you need a Quadro or similar card to meet Avid's specs.

I actually think you buying that card for that price was a brilliant move ;).
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Robert, that sounds like a good decision, IMHO. Anyway, you got an outrageously good price on that card. And to run Avid, you need a Quadro or similar card to meet Avid's specs.

I actually think you buying that card for that price was a brilliant move ;).
Thanks! I thought it was a good idea at the time... Thanks for re-enforcing it!
Robert Brandon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC