Motherboard for Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600? (for Sony Vegas) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 12th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Wrangler

Motherboard for Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600? (for Sony Vegas)

Any motherboard recommendations for the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600?

Notes:
For Sony Vegas editing station.
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #2
New Boot

hi Michael

how does the Mobo affect the software???

you should get a mobo that good memory options i.e RAM how much Mhz does it support , Firewire, PCI ports, SATA connections etc. also should be future proof but with Quad Core it might already be ( for Now :) ).

hth :)
Monish Bansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Major Player

There are so many different makes and models out there that depend on what your overall goals are for the system. Like Monish said, I'd also recommend getting something with 4 slots for fast RAM, several SATA ports, and at least 2 PCI-Express slots for your video card(s). There are some other motherboard components that are worth looking into as well, such as the north and south bridges. There's a cool article posted in the DIY section on videoguys.com that goes into more explanation, so check them out. Actually, I think they're one of the sponsors for this site, so you might see a banner for them around here...
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monish Bansal View Post
how does the Mobo affect the software???
Sony Vegas can take full advantage of the Q6600 chip, so I want to make sure the motherboard is stable and supports all the features of the CPU.
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Major Player

I am running the Abit AB9 with my Quad. I run the most current bios(2.0) which is extremely stable! I don't think you can get the regular AB9's anymore, but I know the AB9 Pro is still available at Newegg at a great price. That one also has 10 SATA connectors, an eSATA connector for external and runs raid on both sets of SATA. I actually am looking to upgrade to that board simply for running a larger array and drive options.

The first/original bios for these boards were sort of quirky, but now, it is like a piece of cake(to be honest not that the original that I purchased with wasn't easy, it was just things such as the AHCI in nonraid causing issues) to work with! I know I am getting one before they stop making them because no other board as far as I have seen has as many SATA connectors on it! It's cheap too at 130.00 USD!

The only quirk to the board, which for me and I would think anyone looking to build a system now is the IDE port is at a horrible spot in respect to the rest of the slots for things such as PCI and that nature. But on mine, I don't run anything IDE, so it really doesn't matter. But I for one love the board and am sure I will love my Pro also when I purchase it!

I would recommend downloading the manual and reading through it before purchasing it. Actually for any motherboard to see if everything makes sense to you..

DD
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC