XP Mini dump crash? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 3rd, 2003, 12:02 PM   #1
Major Player

XP Mini dump crash?

Hi all, not really a editing question, but thought I would post to see if anyone might know a solution.

I have 2 computers (one is my new NLE) and every now and again the system just shuts off and reboots (comp 1, 13 times in the last 3 months, and the new comp 3 time since saturday) and when the system reboots gives me a mini.dmp error message (there is a log file on the computer Minidump, gives you the date and time each happened). Now, I thought this might be a hardware problem on comp #1 (this is a system used for Djing), but since I built Comp #2 (saturday) it's doing the same thing (the piece of harware I though was making this happen is not on the new system), and it happened right in the middle of an editing session. So now I'm thinking it was one of the XP tweeks and tips I adjusted from one of the web pages linked of this forum. That's the only thing these 2 computers have in common, and the only 2 I have ever done these tweeks too.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had the same problem, and fixed it. Check on Microsoft Tech Net but found no answers.

Thanks for any help

Jeff Troiano
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 01:25 AM   #2
Major Player

sounds like.........

A registry issue. which may be related to a tweak.....just guessing though.......if it gives you an error code you can track it down.

It may be worth giving MS a call on their customer service line though. I've had good luck with not spending that much time on hold with their customer service number as an FYI.
Old June 4th, 2003, 01:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I had similar troubles on my computer last year. It was self built and after much trouble shooting i identified the problem to be a faulting memory module. If you have more than one module try removing one and see if the problem still occurs, if so swap them over and try again.

Other problems could be the processor is over heating. The power pack is not big enough; there is a website that tells you how to calculate the amount of power each component in your computer uses so you can see if the power pack is over loaded, If i find it again i'll post it here.

Which tweak did you do to your computer? is it reversable?

Regards

Nick
Nick Glenister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 04:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Glenister : The power pack might not be big enough; there is a website that tells you how to calculate the amount of power each component in your computer uses so you can see if the power pack is over loaded, If i find it again i'll post it here.>>>

Values are approx and vary from system to system

AGP video card - 20-30W
PCI video card - 20W
AMD Athlon 900MHz-1.1GHz - 50W
AMD Athlon 1.2MHz-1.4GHz - 55-65W
Intel Pentium III 800MHz-1.26GHz - 30W
Intel Pentium 4 1.4GHz-1.7GHz - 65W
Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz-2.0GHz - 75W
Intel Celeron 700MHz-900MHz - 25W
Intel Celeron 1.0GHz-1.1GHz - 35W
ATX Motherboard - 30W-40W
128MB RAM - 10W
256MB RAM - 20W
12X or higher IDE CD-RW Drive - 25W
32X or higher IDE CD-ROM Drive - 20W
10x or higher IDE DVD-ROM Drive - 20W
SCSI CD-RW Drive - 17W
SCSI CD-ROM Drive - 12W
5400RPM IDE Hard Drive - 10W
7200RPM IDE Hard Drive - 13W
7200RPM SCSI Hard Drive - 24W
10000RPM SCSI Hard Drive - 30W
Floppy Drive - 5W
Network Card - 4W
Modem - 5W
Sound Card - 5W
SCSI Controller Card - 20W
Firewire/USB Controller Card - 10W
Case Fan - 3W
LED Case Fan - 6W
CPU Fan - 3W
Nick Glenister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 07:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for all the hints guys, still working on this problem. I think Computer #1's problem has something to do with the sound card. I found the Dump file, download a debug program off of microsoft tech.net load one of the dump file's (couldn't get the program to work right, something about loading symbols) but it refered to my sound card, and I think some sound card file which might be the driver. I unistalled the drivers for the sound card, and downloaded drivers from their web site (was the same drive I was using though) and reinstalled. We'll see if that does the trick. Now as far as computer #2 goes, it hasn't happended again, but I've started reinstalling drivers again to see if that was the ticket, also updated the computers bios, and it hasn't happended since. We'll see though, thanks for the help.

Jeff Troiano
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #6
Major Player

May also prove helpful to see what came up in the Event Monitor. Check each log and, if necessary, do a Google search for the various event IDs and error messages that you'll inevitably find. Also if it blue-screens on you before rebooting or anything, towards the top of the blue-screen try to find any file names, identifiable by the fact that they'll usually have a 3-letter extension following their name. Do a search for that file or files on your computer and on Google. Sometimes they're dead giveaways: nv(something, something).dll. NV is usually Nvidia, which means graphics drivers.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC