S-video vs BnC--which is "true" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:48 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

S-video vs BnC--which is "true"

Ok, so I'm attempting to color correct a short film in Vegas. I'm using a Sony PVM 14m2u connected via firewire preview, using the XL2 as a D/A converter. I have both a BnC out and an S-video out from the XL2 to the monitor. I just noticed that there is a slight difference between them in terms of contrast and color saturation. The S-video image is a little less contrasty/brighter and less saturated than the BnC image. So for color correcting purposes, which is "right"? The S-video would appear to be a higher quality image in terms of sharpness and no chroma crawl (which I get from using the BnC out on the XL2), so is it the S-video?

Furthermore, is there a quality difference between the BnC out on the XL2 and one found on a pro cam, say an SDX900 or something? If S-video is always higher quality than BnC, then why don't all the pro cams have S-video monitor outs instead of BnC?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:30 AM   #2
New Boot

Locking Connectors!

I can't answer your question about which has a better quality, or is true, for certain, but I can say that I am moderately certain it's S-Video. I was told that a BNC is essentially the same as component, but the reason it's favored so much is because it has locking connectors, which is a huge plus.
Daniel Lippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM   #3
Wrangler

In order of quality from low to high...

BNC (or RCA) - Carrying a composite signal.

S-Video - Separates the chroma and luma information

Component - Separates each color channel - sometimes has separate sync (5 connectors for R/G/B/H/V)

Keeping signals separated keeps them in their purest form because that's how they originate. If mixed to form a composite, they have to be separated again on the other side which degrades the signal a bit.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC