Firewire problem with Sony at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Firewire problem with Sony

Today I wanted to capture some footage using a sony camera. I connected the camera via firewire but my pc didn't recognize the camera. Then I connected another camera, a Samsung, and it was recognized immediately with the same firewire cable. I also connected a JVC camera and no problem at all. My problem is only with the Sony. This camera is not mine and it works fine on its owner's pc. Any idea of what could be the problem?
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Are you capturing in SD or HD? Make sure the camera and computer have the same settings, that's when I see that problem most often. :) Barring that, try turning off the computer and camera, turn on camera, plugged in, start windows/your programs?

Carl
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am using a small consumer sony camera so its SD. It seems to me that there should be some kind of driver for sony. But I never heard of one so thats why I'm lost!!
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #4
Major Player

What model Sony is it?

I hate to suggest it but it could very well be the FireWire port on the Sony. There certainly shouldn't be any need for a special driver unless it's one of those odd-ball USB camcorders. All my DV equipment is Sony and everything works just by plugging it in.

Have you double checked it on your friend's PC since having the problem with yours?

If you have a 4-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable, try connecting the Sony and the Samsung. Put both in VTR mode. Set one for DV-IN and the other for DV-OUT (if required). Play a tape in the one set for output. You should see the video on the other camcorder's display. If it doesn't work, try it in reverse.

If you can't get one camcorder to see the other's FireWire output, then it does point to the Sony's port :(

(If you don't have a 4-pin to 4-pin cable, you can use two 4-pin to 6-pin cables both plugged into your PC's FireWire interface. As long as the PC's power is on, the FireWire wire interface acts like a 3 port hub (until some software comes along to use it for capture etc).
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The model is DCR-TRV33E. This is a PAL camera, if it makes any difference. As you said it could be a problem with a burnt firewire on the camera but I cannot test that right now since I dont have 4pin to 4pin cable. One thing that I didn't say before is that at one point I disabled the windows firewall and the name of the camera appeared on the bottom right hand corner of my monitor. I thought all problems were solved but it dissapeared very soon and the camera wasn't recognized any more!! I find this very strange.
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey George, try this: power down everything. Connect camera to PC. Turn on PC first, and only when it's fully up and running, turn on the Sony.
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Many thanks to everyone for your replies to my problem but after trying all that was suggested and more, I am still in the same situation!!
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Go to My Computer - is the camera listed?
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

No it does not show in my computer. It is as if I didn't connect it!!
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Does it still work on the owners computer?
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I cannot try that now cause my friend doesn't live close to my place. That would rule out any trouble with the cam but unfortunately I can't try it for now. And what if it did work on his pc?!?!?
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Check this out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #13
Major Player

Any reason not to use the Samsung or JVC camera to capture the footage?
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Both samsung and jvc are having other trouble!!!!! Thats why I borrowed this Sony cam
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #15
New Boot

The Sony cam firewire port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
What model Sony is it?

I hate to suggest it but it could very well be the FireWire port on the Sony. ..... All my DV equipment is Sony and everything works just by plugging it in...
Hi George, I know how frustrating it feels for your post not to have a definite solution at the end of the day. But my question is if you connect the cam to PC using firewire, does “DV in” show on the cam LCD?

Sometimes ago, I encountered exact problem you are sharing: PC not recognizing d camcoder. As a matter of fact, mine was with Sony TRV480. Everything was working perfectly at the initial time: both firewire & USB connections to PC, until when the PC cannot recognize the cam again using firewire. But if connected thru USB, it comes up naturally. Nothing changed on the PC btw the time I started to use the cam & the time the problem occurred.

Having tried all means: re-formating the PC; re-installing the firewire card; re-purchased a new firewire cable and card, using other PC, etc. the problem was eventually traced to the firewire port on the camcorder having partial contact. It accidentally came up once on the PC when I was trying to touch up the firewire port on the cam, but thereafter, it never came up again: despite the inscription of “DV in” showing on the cam LCD. I don’t want to rush into repairs because the cam is just new, and every effort to contact SONY via live chat (www.sony.net/service) has proved abortive.

What am I saying in essence, the reply by John Miller quoted above MAY be totally correct.

I actually abandoned the cam passthru for now since other functions on it are working perfectly. To fill that role, I’m just bought an independent interface, Datavideo DAC200: this gives me more than what my cam can do.

You can also consider this option.

Rgds – John portharcourt
John Portharcourt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC