New monitor time? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Major Player

New monitor time?

Hello All,

It's getting close to decision time.

I've been monitoring and editing both photo and video on an older 19" CRT.

I've come to trust the colors of this older CRT but can't really see letterbox as it should be. Also, I own/use a high def 1080i camera.

I'm thinking I should move on to something 22" wide, letterbox compatable, or bigger for my video.

What are the rest of you doing?

Anybody still using a CRT?

Have most of you moved on? Do you trust your video/colors from the newer technology?

Thanks for the help.

BTW, if you have moved on to a larger, flat panel monitor....any recommendations under $500?

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Trustee

This is all very personal, but I prefer having two 20+" monitors with a resolution of 1400x1050 minimum each or better. The disadvantage is the bevel between the two screens, but the added real estate is worth more to me than a single 22, 24 or larger monitor.

Have a look at two Samsung SyncMaster 203B or 204B monitors. That will fit easily within your budget.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Harm for taking your time to reply.

Rog Lee
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Dell has some nice monitors.....

I'd like a side by side setup too... maybe even a tripple would be nice.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I will second Harm's recommendation - I have a Samsung Syncmaster 225BW 16x9 (1680x1050 native) here at work and I love it, costs around $300. Have not used it for "real" video editing, only for testing some editing software, but I watch a lot of video on it. I think you will have to adjust your eyes - I know I have to, going back and forth between this one and my 19" CRT at home.

LCDs are capable of a lot more contrast and a needle sharp image - I'm not sure you will like that... would be great if you could test before buying.
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks again guys.

Erv

I hear a lot of good things about that Samsung monitor - 22" right?

High contrast and needle sharp image not good for video editing??

Take care.

Rog Lee
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am also trying to decide which widescreen lcd monitor to buy. I seen a Samsung and a HP 20"22"19". The lcds ranged from 1000:1 contrast ratio to 3000:1. Wow those were very clear and bright. I also seen these brands next to viewsonic lcd's the same size but 700:1 and 800:1 contrast ratio. I would say quite a difference. I had to squint a little looking at the viewsonics, not as bright for sure. I am sure the higher priced viewsonics are better. Currentley I use 2 17" crts one is a viewsonic. I would keep my crt but also use the widescreen for editing.
I was curious to know what widescreeen brands people are using and what ratio of contrast.
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lee View Post
Erv, I hear a lot of good things about that Samsung monitor - 22" right? High contrast and needle sharp image not good for video editing?? Rog Lee
Rog, it's a matter of personal taste/preference. If you like the sharp "video" look I think you will like this monitor, but if you're more after the smooth "film" look, you will have to tune it down quite a bit (and probably still like it). Besides, we should not judge video on how it looks on your computer screen... we should use a real video monitor for that.

One other thing: sharp monitors are very taxing on our eyes! I admit, I'm an addict to sharp computer images, I turned off Clear Type that makes text look smooth on the screen - and I feel sand in my eyes after a day at work.

In any case, the 225BW is a big bang for the (video editing) buck!
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Rog, it's a matter of personal taste/preference. If you like the sharp "video" look I think you will like this monitor, but if you're more after the smooth "film" look, you will have to tune it down quite a bit (and probably still like it). Besides, we should not judge video on how it looks on your computer screen... we should use a real video monitor for that.

One other thing: sharp monitors are very taxing on our eyes! I admit, I'm an addict to sharp computer images, I turned off Clear Type that makes text look smooth on the screen - and I feel sand in my eyes after a day at work.

In any case, the 225BW is a big bang for the (video editing) buck!
Thanks Erv,

This helps clear things up a bit for me.

I can understand the eye fatigue thing. I experienced a similar ear fatigue when doing music editing.

Take care and thanks again.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC