I got my computer. Now I need a capture card!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 23rd, 2003, 09:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I got my computer. Now I need a capture card!?

Alright, I got my computer...

3.06 GHz1 Intel® Pentium® 4 with Hyper-Threading Technology
250 GB 7200 RPM HD
1 GB DDR-SDRAM
NVIDIA® GeForce4 MX 440
DVD-RW/DVD-R
CD-RW/CD-R
18" TFT LCD Monitor

Now...I want to capture some footage from a pd150 via firewire connection. Thats all good. Now, I wanna capture video from a VCR via S-Video or composite connection. My computer doesnt have A/V or S-Video connections, so I have come to the conclusion, that I need some kind of capture card that has an s-video port and/or composite A/V ports, enabling me to capture from an older camera, or from any playback device with A/V output.

I currently have Premiere 6.5. I figured, if i'm going to get a capture card, I might as well get one that supports real-time editing, and output.

What do I really need? I looked up cards that were compatible with premiere 6.5, and got a whole list. I went to the Canopus website, and came across the CANOPUS ACEDVio witch comes with Vegas 4.0. It supports most types of connections and lists for $499. Is this a good solution for capturing compatibility!?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
John Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:56 PM   #2
Wrangler

Canopus hardware comes highly recommended around here. The product you mention will do analog to digital and digital to analog conversions. If you want real time DV editing capability, step up to the DVStorm.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #3
Trustee

John,

Before you lay down the folding stuff besure to check that your hardware, motherboard, graphics card and audio card are compatable with whatever capture card you choose. If their are incompatibilites you will be up for both time and money headaches.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt : Canopus hardware comes highly recommended around here. The product you mention will do analog to digital and digital to analog conversions. If you want real time DV editing capability, step up to the DVStorm. -->>>

Except for the DV Raptor RT. It is the dictionary definition of POS!
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #5
Wrangler

Interesting you should say that, Nigel.

What is your specific objection(s) to the product?

While I've not had the RT version, my experiences with the original Raptor were very good.
Old June 25th, 2003, 02:44 AM   #6
Major Player

My specific objection to the product is that it gave poor quality playback and output in Premiere (watery noise) as well as sticking in the timeline (Premiere timeline plays, but monitor screen stays blank or shows still picture).

My system complies with the Can'o'puss HCL.

Can'o'puss tried to blame the graphics card (I started with a swanky Parhelia). I replaced that with a G550 (generally considered to be a very reliable performer) and finally with a Ti4600. All to no avail.

In the end, I took out the RRT and replaced it with an Adaptec FireConnect costing one tenth the price, and it just works. OK, so I lose out on the RRT colour correction tools, which were very nice, but at least my system works and is solid.

I keep meaning to sell the Craptor&reg;RT on ebay.

Someone else I know had two RRTs, one worked, one did. But all the news I heard on the original Raptor was good tho'
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #7
Wrangler

Out of curiosity, did you ever try RaptorEditRT?
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Matrox RT-X100.
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #9

IMHO...your best bet is to stay with a simple and cheap firewire card...like the ADS Pyro. If you want to add analog connections, get yourself analog to DV convertor box like the PYRO A/V link.
http://www.adstech.com/products/API_550/intro/api550intro.asp?pid=API-550

If you're just starting in the NLE technology, avoid Premiere...it will be nothing but heartache. Go for the VEGAS 4...so much easier to learn, much more capable than Premiere, and it never hangs up.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #10
Regular Crew

DV STorm is a fine piece of card and would be amazing for your system (i own a 3ghz HT too and a storm). but look on the canopus side first if your mainboard and it's chip is supported with the canopus cards.
and by the way... when this is your only pc and it isn't for cutting only (it is a legend that a pc should be a cutting only pc - it really doesn't make a difference if there is anything else for your inet, games ect on it) replace your grafic card... a brand new P4 will be happy if it has at least a Ti4200 on his side ;-)
Elmar Tewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #11
Wrangler

Matrox RTX 100 extreme come highly recommended by me.

Check www.matrox.com/video. They don't sale it without Premiere, although if you phone up and ask i'm sure they might have the board and drivers around somewhere to sale?

Check for compatabilty with your hardware as well.

All the best,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the replies everyone. This helps alot! It seems my best solution would be the PYRO A/V Link.

Let me get this straight...

My system HAS firewire capibilities. Could I connect the PYRO A/V Link to my system via firewire, and capture from A/V sources? If so, then, I think thats what I need...
John Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #13
Sponsor: JET DV

Since your system has firewire built-in, you don't need anything except a wire to connect between your computer and camera and the software necessary to capture and edit.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #14

I think he needs to connect to a VHS, Ed. Can't do that thru 1394 without an interface with s-video or composite inputs.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #15
Major Player

I don't know if this has been suggested already, I didn't take the time to read all of the above posts, yet. The Canopus ADVC-100 is outstanding for brining analog in to the computer via firewire, and then back out again. It was the best $300 I ever invested in. No more messing around with drivers and such. Dropped frames. I don't think so!

Of course if you want to bust out for bigger bucks, I have been really impressed with Canopus products.

If you go to the canopus site, and rread through the forums, you will notice that there are more people there sharing "how to" instead of debugging problems. Then go to other manufacturers sites and make a comparison.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC