DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Video Card upgrade? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/112354-video-card-upgrade.html)

Joe Hanna January 14th, 2008 11:09 AM

Video Card upgrade?

Using pinnacle software for my small movie projects I was wondering if a video card upgrade would correct a small problem with the viewing of my project while working on editing.

Here's what I got currently the card installed is a nvidia g-force 5600. I get some skip during play back of scenes and the viewing quality is not real good in full screen. The end product is good with good picture quality on DVD this is just a small anoyance to me while working on my projects. thus my question. will a XFX G Force 8600 vid card help correct the sub par video quality for viewing my project during editing.
any sugestions?
thanks

Themis Gyparis January 14th, 2008 12:02 PM

Normally, I would suggest a real video card and not a graphics card that mimics the work of a video card. But you referred to "small projects" so I guess it's more like a hobby and less a profession.

So here's what I have to say. Dedicated video cards do just that. They are capable of displaying the edited video on external monitor exactly as it would be on its final form. Display of the video via a graphics card certainly has its disadvantages and you'll probably have to live with that even with one of a higher quality. Keep in mind that all you get on your display is actually like a... video print-screen (if there was such a button on the keyboard :-) whose quality drops as the screen's size gets bigger. Besides, all video cards have certain outputs that allow full-resolution video display (from SDI and firewire to component and composite)

Your answer to the problem is to work with what you have since your output works mainly as a reference and you don't need to do more sophisticated work (e.g. color correction). A better card might give you better quality but it is certain that it still will not be what you want to see. Check out pinnacle's site to see what kind of video cards are available for your software, you might find a cheap one. Otherwise, go for a different editing package, something that I wouldn't recommend if you don't intend to go more seriously into editing. It would cost you money and endless time in setting up a proper system...

Mike McCarthy January 14th, 2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Hanna (Post 808103)
Using pinnacle software for my small movie projects I was wondering if a video card upgrade would correct a small problem with the viewing of my project while working on editing.

Here's what I got currently the card installed is a nvidia g-force 5600. I get some skip during play back of scenes and the viewing quality is not real good in full screen. The end product is good with good picture quality on DVD this is just a small anoyance to me while working on my projects. thus my question. will a XFX G Force 8600 vid card help correct the sub par video quality for viewing my project during editing.
any sugestions?
thanks

It is likely you have an AGP, so keep that in mind when searching. The Geforce 7000 series probably will give you the most bang for your buck, the 7600 being ideal if you can find one. (I assume you are looking for the cheapest solution)

Joe Hanna January 14th, 2008 01:40 PM

Thanks for the help!!