Video Card upgrade? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Video Card upgrade?

Using pinnacle software for my small movie projects I was wondering if a video card upgrade would correct a small problem with the viewing of my project while working on editing.

Here's what I got currently the card installed is a nvidia g-force 5600. I get some skip during play back of scenes and the viewing quality is not real good in full screen. The end product is good with good picture quality on DVD this is just a small anoyance to me while working on my projects. thus my question. will a XFX G Force 8600 vid card help correct the sub par video quality for viewing my project during editing.
any sugestions?
thanks
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Normally, I would suggest a real video card and not a graphics card that mimics the work of a video card. But you referred to "small projects" so I guess it's more like a hobby and less a profession.

So here's what I have to say. Dedicated video cards do just that. They are capable of displaying the edited video on external monitor exactly as it would be on its final form. Display of the video via a graphics card certainly has its disadvantages and you'll probably have to live with that even with one of a higher quality. Keep in mind that all you get on your display is actually like a... video print-screen (if there was such a button on the keyboard :-) whose quality drops as the screen's size gets bigger. Besides, all video cards have certain outputs that allow full-resolution video display (from SDI and firewire to component and composite)

Your answer to the problem is to work with what you have since your output works mainly as a reference and you don't need to do more sophisticated work (e.g. color correction). A better card might give you better quality but it is certain that it still will not be what you want to see. Check out pinnacle's site to see what kind of video cards are available for your software, you might find a cheap one. Otherwise, go for a different editing package, something that I wouldn't recommend if you don't intend to go more seriously into editing. It would cost you money and endless time in setting up a proper system...
Themis Gyparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hanna View Post
Using pinnacle software for my small movie projects I was wondering if a video card upgrade would correct a small problem with the viewing of my project while working on editing.

Here's what I got currently the card installed is a nvidia g-force 5600. I get some skip during play back of scenes and the viewing quality is not real good in full screen. The end product is good with good picture quality on DVD this is just a small anoyance to me while working on my projects. thus my question. will a XFX G Force 8600 vid card help correct the sub par video quality for viewing my project during editing.
any sugestions?
thanks
It is likely you have an AGP, so keep that in mind when searching. The Geforce 7000 series probably will give you the most bang for your buck, the 7600 being ideal if you can find one. (I assume you are looking for the cheapest solution)
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help!!
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC