GREEN SPOTS and GREEN BLOCKOUT when viewing Videos on PC HELP!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Major Player

GREEN SPOTS and GREEN BLOCKOUT when viewing Videos on PC HELP!!

I am having some problems, but am not sure if its a Windows Media Player Problem, something Im doing when I render a video, etc, but its driving me nuts. It also happens in REAL PLAYER.

I start the video and the screen transistions to GREEN! it drives me nuts, I cant see anything. Sometimes it gives green pixels, I have attached a sample here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAAAFgZh6dg (I hope i posted that link right)

Thoughts, I have googled this and it appears to be a major problem, but i cant seem to find a fix for it.

I am currently using Windows XP Windows Media Player 10 on one machine, Windows MEdia 9 player on the other. I have recently installed Roxio EZ creator. I dont know anything about encoding, directx, etc... so perhaps im doing something wrong.

HELP!!

Dave
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
I have attached a sample here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAAAFgZh6dg (I hope i posted that link right)
Sorry, man. When clicking on the link I get the following message from youtube:

"This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request".

Try reposting so I can help you
Themis Gyparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Major Player

sorry about that... Im new to posting vids...and videography. Should work now

Thanks
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What type of file is the one you're playing and what version of the player do you use? Also what software do you use to render the video? Did you edit and render it or are you just trying to play the file?
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #5
Major Player

I edited it and rendered it. I am using Roxio Creator. IT happens on both Windows media player 9 and 10. on my laptop and editing PC. If i try it on a pc at work it doesnt happen. Could it be a decoder encoder, etc..(keep in mind i dont know what these are)

It happens on certain vids i try to watch online tool. Im thinking its something to do with my settings/graphic cards etc... it sure is aggrivating though
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Are we talking SD or HD footage?
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #7
Major Player

SD Footage
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Are those computers fast enough for playing video? The only time I've seen green blocks is when trying to play HD on older computers - either the video card or the whole computer was too old/slow.
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #9
Major Player

yup..they play some vids and not others...the one your looking at on you tube is at 320 x????? the 640x??? version plays just fine. Someone said it could be a codec problem? Does this make sense? What the heck is Codec
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

How can it be possible that you edit and render and thus don't know what a codec is? I'm wondering that...

A codec is an algorithm or special software that handles the number of bytes consumed by large files and programs accordingly. For example, a file that is encoded with a specific codec requires the same codec to decode. But all that is just maths What you need to do is look for the proper codec of your media player on the web. The last version certainly has more codecs than previous versions, so look it up. If the problem persists, which I don't think will be the case, it will probably be lack of RAM, a slow processor, a grahics card that malfunctions or a nnumber of other... incredible things..
Old January 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themis Gyparis View Post
How can it be possible that you edit and render and thus don't know what a codec is? I'm wondering that...
Cause Im new to the whole learning curve?
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
Cause Im new to the whole learning curve?
I'll say this totally meaning well, I don't want it to be misinterpreted: Wanting to learn how to edit and not know what a codec is, is like wanting to drive and not know that a car has a steering wheel and pedals... The first thing you should do is get familiar with the different encoding formats, otherwise you can't deliver any job you do.

Anyway, search the web for appropriate info. It is very important to first get to know some things about codecs and encoding in general and THEN get to start dealing with editing in general. This will help you understand better what you can do with your editing software and how it behaves, depending on the different video and audio material you work with.

Hope this helps
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks..

Im starting to understand the encoder and decoder. I have discovered that i have a major hardward malfunction on my PC. Not sure yet if its a video card conflict or what the heck is going on exactly.

I learned that the encoder is already in the software as well as the decoder. I got a little confused when i did a search for encoders/decoders on the web and everyone was charging for some version of one.

I downloaded the Microsoft encoder/decoder detection tool and it told me i have nothing installed on my system. So lets just say its work in progress.

Again thanks for everything so far!

Ill keep you posted

PS..I upgraded my WMP to Ver 11.0
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:41 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Here is a good place to start understanding digital video: http://www.adobe.com/motion/primers.html

I recommend especially the "Adobe Digital Video Primer" http://www.adobe.com/products/premie...rimer_0306.pdf

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC