Perfect off the shelf editing PC sub £1000?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Perfect off the shelf editing PC sub £1000??

I'm looking for a new editing PC for somewhere under £1000. Ideally I'm looking for something "off the shelf" rather than buiilding it myself...at least I then have someone to poke with a stick if it isnt all compatible!

So, here are the details:
Editing on Adobe Premiere
Filming on Mini DV with a view of upgrading to HD in the next year
Output to the web, or DVD
PC, not MAC
I already own 2 x 22" monitors and associated hardware
Please recommend systems, rather than individual components if possible, or other altrnatives I should consider.

Hope you can help, thanks!!

Matthew
Matthew Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Mathew...............

This new habit of not having a location indicated for "posters", strikes yet again.

Before the hordes go wild, I believe only systems available in the UK are options here (assuming you aren't resident in one of the few other countries that use the "pound" sign).

It might be worth contacting "the management" and get at least a country attached to your name Mathew, else you'll need to remember that country/ region specific queries will have to be qualified in the text.

Now, having said all that, I can't help apart from mentioning that Heinz BB supplier - Dell. Anything in their line up that rings your chimes?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh oh...i can see hordes of "locals" on the horizon carrying pitchforks and flaming torches!!! Run for your lives!!

Location added, and yes, I am indeed from the UK.

I have looked at Dell, at this system in particular (From thier new XPS420 range):

PROCESSOR Premium Chassis - Intel® 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
MEMORY 3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024/2x512]
HARD DRIVE 1TB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x500GB - 7200rpm)
GRAPHICS CARD SINGLE 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card
TV TUNER & MULTIMEDIA ACCELERATORS TV Tuner and AVIO / Accellerator
OPTICAL DRIVE 4x Blu-Ray Disc Drive (Burning)

This is normally £1299, now £999, plus 10% off voucher, plus anouther 5% cash rebate with Quidco, plus i don't pay VAT as this is for work, meaning a total of £727, which is an awsome price. The only problem is you cant change any components when building this PC, and i understand the graphics card isnt ideal for editing? Can anyone comment? Would i able to take it out and ebay it, and buy an alternative?

Thanks!
Matthew Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well done..........

Hmm.

Do you have the option to dump Vista and go XP? It's significantly faster according to all reports.

(just checked myself, you don't - bummer).

What? No seperate system drive? Or just not on the list?

(Nope, ain't one).

I think, from memory, that the 8800 doesn't support video overlays, so no second monitor.

(Yep, e - baying it may be an option).

The BluRay burner's a nice touch.

(Is it a burner? The web site didn't want to tell me)

What I find suprising (apart from the list above) is the lack of mods allowed. Seems very odd.

As you say, it's an extremely good price for what you're getting, but the question is - is it what you actually really want?

Don't know what that card would fetch on e - bay, but say 50 quid (?), factor in a replacement card, etc etc, I dunno.

Certainly tempting on the surface, but Vista, no seperate system drive and that card would pretty well put me off.

What's your gut feeling? (apart from the price)

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If your system is intended for professional workflow, meaning it will work with a big amount of material on a more than regular basis, it is better to go for a qualified turnkey workstation depending on the software you will use to edit. I'm not sure it'll be within your budget, but it will save you trouble and time
Themis Gyparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Major Player

Where doe one get a "turnkey workstation"? What types/brands are there?
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC