Pinnalce Studio (Forcing 16:9 on 4:30) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Pinnalce Studio (Forcing 16:9 on 4:30)

I am wanting my DVD to play in the 16:9 format on the 4:3 screans. How, Can I force this with Pinnalce?

I thought I could set the project preferences to NTSC widescreen and it would do it but apparantly it does not?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #2
New Boot

Try changing your project preferences to whichever widescreen format you want to use, selecting all of your timeline, copying it, opening a new project and then pasting your timeline into the new project. It should be in 16:9 then.
J. D. McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Major Player

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have set up my project preferences to NTSC Widescreen. I thought this would put the letterbox bars on all 4:3 screens?

I would like it force the letterbox look?
Attached Images

Last edited by Guy Godwin; March 12th, 2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Delete
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Major Player

I beleive I got it....
In fact I think I had it all along. But for what ever reason my DVR/DVD burner on my 4:3 TV is the only one playing compressed as 4:3 so I think I have a setting in it to look at.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #5
Trustee

If you are working in both 4:3 and 16:9 you might set your project preferences to select by whatever the first clip added to the timeline is. That is how I do it.

That way if your first clip is 4:3 then that sets the whole timeline for that aspect ratio, widescreen clips added after that first one will letterbox.

DVD players used to view your DVD's should be configured to 4:3 or normal fullscreen with letterbox. The actual choices may be worded different.

But what I am doing is all widescreen. I shoot no more 4:3 as the vast majority of TV's being sold now are widescreen and when the very few 4:3 sets on the shelves are gone that will be it. No one will be making any more.

Just about all DVD players now being sold can be set to letterbox on 4:3.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC