Vista Co-axial Digital Output Non-functional at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 1st, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Vista Co-axial Digital Output Non-functional

My new H-P quad-core Vista desktop has no function in its co-axial digital audio output. An advisor at H-P tells me it's due to a flaw in the operating system and that I'd have to download a restoration program onto a DVD, that would replace the entire OS and erase everything I've loaded onto the computer. This doesn't seem right, as I'd think that Microsoft would send an update to patch this specific problem, along with the dozens of other updates they provide. Is this non-working digital audio output something that all computers that are running Vista Premium have? Or is it confined to H-P models or just my computer only? I think that a USB soundcard might be my easiest and quickest solution.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Major Player

I'd bet its the sounddrivers for your HP branded soundcard that doesn't support all feauters when running Vista. Sounddrivers are a black chapter in the Vista book.

IMHO -> The builtin AC97(realtek) sound works well in Vista. Newer soundcards like them from ASUS also works well. Soundblaster is _not_recommended_ in Vista.

// Lazze
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello J. Stephen -

Ran across your thread. Last night, found an article on Microsfts website that might give some insight. It is a long, long article but very insightful. If the link doesn't take you to the exact article, it should take you close, just look for one dated 1/6/07 from "recrec". Here goes...

https://forums.microsoft.com/technet...&tf=0&pageid=5

Again, very long article but gets into almost exactly the issues you may be looking at. It was enough for me to decide to revert to XP from Vista. I am no techie, but I'm willing to risk it if it helps things work.
Erik Nudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Major Player

H-P Seems Aware of the Problem

Thanks for the replies. Now, H-P is sending me some software on a CD, of an exact nature that I don't know. They seem to have encountered this problem with Vista before. I'm hoping that the CD will have just an update to correct the audio fault and not cause a restoration of the entire OS.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC