Unbelievable Incompatibility?!?!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Unbelievable Incompatibility?!?!?

OK, major issue for me. I'm a Mac guy. I'm used to just about everything working all the time. I had a client ask me to transfer 30 DV tapes to his hard drive, and after checking into it a bit, I though perhaps the Apple Dv codec MIGHT work. It turns out that not only does it NOT work, I can't seem to transcode from DV to ANY format that WILL work. I can't find any program that will open the files properly on a PC, and none on OSX that will transcode from DV to AVI with a codec worth a darn - any ideas? I have 2 days.
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Did you assign the appropriate file extension to the video files? When shifting material from a Mac to a PC, I've always had to modify the file to read "filename.avi". Macs, for some incredibly strange reason, don't put the file extension on the file. So when you transfer it to a PC, Windows doesn't know how to work with the file because it can't see what kind of file it is.

Also, are you capturing on a Mac and then transferring to a PC hard drive? Do you have the capability to capture on a PC so it "just works"? ;-)

Sorry for that last little dig, but I was feeling mischievous! At any rate, I've transfered files from Mac to PC several times, and I've never had a problem. I've also had very good luck converting captured video into Quicktime files that are readily viewable and editable on PCs. Are there any other details you can add about what you're doing that might help me or someone else on this forum?
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Major Player

By the way, "DV" is not some strange PC codec. It is the light compression encoded by the camera itself. Quicktime Pro should be able to do the translation into the appropriate Mac format.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Major Player

If you mean you need to convert from raw DV format (which AFAIK FCP can create) to DV format AVI on Windows, you can use our Enosoft DV Processor. The capability to read/write raw DV files has been added. If you want to try it, let me know since it this newer version isn't directly available on our server but I can provide a link.

BTW, the "problem" isn't that the Windows side "simply doesn't work" - it's because BOTH platforms fail to provide the most basic interoperability for obvious (but annoying) business reasons. Apple have never implemented Quicktime to an acceptable quality on the Windows platform and Microsoft have never bothered to provide AVI capability on the Mac. Both container types (MOV and AVI) are well documented and both could easily be implemented on the "other" platform by a third party.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

FCP can trascode to DV-AVI, just do the appropriate selections. I just finished transferring DVCPRO-HD material to SD DV-AVI (on a Macbook) that I then edited on PC. No problems at all.

By the way, you may also use the QT JPEG-A codec or QT Animation, as long as QT is installed on the PC, it will work wonderfully.

You will, however, have issues with files sizes if you use a hard drive for the transfer... the only compatible formatting is FAT32, which has a 4GB file size limit. Save on the Mac instead, then network the two computers.
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
You will, however, have issues with files sizes if you use a hard drive for the transfer... the only compatible formatting is FAT32, which has a 4GB file size limit. Save on the Mac instead, then network the two computers.
In Leopard, I use FUSE and NTFS-3g to access Windows partitions; works great.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC