Splitting Left & Right Stereo Soundtracks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 10th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Splitting Left & Right Stereo Soundtracks

I was wondering if it were possible with Vegas to split the left and right stereo channels from each other. Reason: I have two sony vx2k's, so if this were possible, it would give me four tracks to record to from four mic locations, never mind the out of sync problem of distance vs. sound speed. I could just pick the better sound coming out of whichever mic. If they're forever cemented together, then I'd have to worry, and find other independent sound recorders for two of the four mics.
Also, I guess I was wrong in assuming Vegas had a built in sound editor? It says, "there is no audio editor specified in preferences," when I right click and try to send the selected track to audio editor. If this is the case, any sugestions for an audio editor? Perhaps it's that you don't have to leave Vegas to do the audio editing. Does it do it on top of Vegas, kind of like Excalibur?
Thanks alot!
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Rightclick a sound track in Vegas, select Channels. there you have the choice of Both, Left only, Right only, Combine or Swap. If you want to split a stereo signal - copy it to a new track, do the above; Left only for the one, Right only for the other. You now have two mono tracks.
Vegas does not have an audio editor as such. Sound Forge is the best. It works not as a plugin, but Vegas uses it by giving you choices like Open in Sound Forge, Open copy in Sound Forge. And when you're done, Vegas will use the new track instead of the old, keeping the sync.
However, you can do a tremendous lot of sound work and manipulation within Vegas, not needing a separate sound editor. When it comes to audio work, Vegas is mother of all NLEs.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Great! Then next question would be...

Ohhh, that's great! Now I think I need to investigate what gadget I need to perhaps control each of the two (per camera)mic's outputs individually in terms of monitoring, gain, compression, etc, and then convert into two left and right channel inputs into the mini stereo jack of the cam. Any thoughts right off the bat?
Thanks for all.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC