New 10,000 RPM HDD's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 18th, 2003, 06:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New 10,000 RPM HDD's

Tell me what you think about these new Hard drives. I know they have 15,000 RPM hdd's but how much better do you think these 10k RPM drives will be?

http://www17.tomshardware.com/storag...718/index.html
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

theyre not all that different.. and they run on serial ata, which is a good and bad thing.. good thing is that you dont need a power supply for each drive and that its fast, bad thing is that if u have slwoer drives in ur box, theres no point.... wont make much of a diference when rendering to and from seperate drives...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 12:34 AM   #3
New Boot

Another thing with the with the 10k and 15k RPM drives is that they generate lots of heat. I have 4 73GB and qne 18GB 15k RPM drives in my system now, and I had to put them in an external drive case because the heat was causing the processor to not be cooled properly.
Walter Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 01:29 AM   #4
Wrangler

I have the Western Digital 10K SATA Raptor drive - got it based on the reviews below. I'm using at as my system drive with Windows XP Pro.

I would consider it a "nice" but minor improvement over a 7200 rpm hard disk, which I was using before. Once you've booted up and started your applications, you won't notice much of a speed improvement after that. The main effect it had on my routine was a noticeably faster boot time and faster software startup - after that there's very little boost to my system.

I use Vegas, Acid, Photoshop, and After Effects. There's a small improvement when working with Photoshop and After Effects but nothing you'd jump up and really notice - just a slightly more responsive program. As for Vegas and Acid they're fast applications anyway so you won't notice much of an improvement.

The "nice" things?
It's great to hit the ON button and have the computer ready to go when your done hanging up your jacket and backpack.

Boot up and installation times are much faster.

One caveat: My work computer runs off of 2 15K SCSI seagate drives - the responsiveness in that system is my benchmark - and it has very easily spoiled me.

Reviews for Western Digital 10K Raptor Drive:
-----------
Tom's Hardware

Anandtech.com

Old July 19th, 2003, 01:34 AM   #5
Wrangler

Also check out this thread to see the difference in my opinion between when I first installed the Raptor drive and now

Hard drive thread
Old July 19th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

in all honesty, the extra money could go to larger storage capacity on an IDE level...

im running 3 drives.. my main is an
Western Digital 80 GB 7200rpm with Data-Lifeguard ATA-100 JB 8meg Cache

now this one is partitioned in 3 parts, the first is 15gb for OS and apps,
the second is another 15gb for Games (cough) and my music projects. It also houses all my backups of settings and Projects.
The other 45gb is for my website content, Video playarounds, And other video materials like titles, logos, animations.

then i have a WD (Same specs as above only larger) 120gb drive for raw video only... no rendering is done on this drive, only capture and raw material.
This drive is not partitioned, as it doesnt need it and it runs faster without IMO

once ive completed a project, i then render to the other 120gbWD drive..
As 1 drive is acesssed for the OS and Codecs, the other drive accesses the raw and the final output goes to the the last drive...
This is also the temp drive for pre rendering...

This is fast and efficient and is a good way to work when dealing with many projects at once...

On top of that, render times are significantly decreased, as even thou you may have a partition, the Drive head still needs to access logical drives... which DOES bog down teh system..

the less head movement you have, the more efficient (and cooler) your drive will be...

these drives are housed in an ANtec 1080 480W Tower with 5 fans (stock) Absolutely NO noise (which is why i chose it)
Now for some funky blue lights.. LOL

running SCSI drives is an optimal speed preference, however the heat generated (as mentioned) requires a little more management and the strorage space is not as large as IDE or SATA drives

Im just speaking in general terms Some people forget that the PC IS AS IMPORTANT as the cameras we use. It needs regualr service and checkups, just like your cam...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 04:07 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi all.
One area in wich the new SATA 150 10K rpm drives could be useful is DVD authoring. The final stage (muxing the files and image creation) is a very HDD intensive process, some time could be gained there.

Another advantage is reliability and warranty. They are built like SCSI drives but they don't cost as much.

Best regards
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:43 AM   #8
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Wisniewski : One caveat: My work computer runs off of 2 15K SCSI seagate drives - the responsiveness in that system is my benchmark - and it has very easily spoiled me.
-->>>

I know what you mean about the 15K SCSI Seagate drives I have 5 of them in my system so Im really spoiled. In fact the only things that are IDE in my system are the CD/DVD drives, even the floppy is SCSI.
Walter Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 08:37 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm looking forward to IDE Raid chipsets for future PCs. Although I haven't seen any tests, it seems that two or more regular IDE drives in a RAID configuration will yield greater bandwidth, cache size but not seek time for less money. The 10k RPM SCSI drives seem cost about $3-4/GByte while the 7.2k RPM IDE drives cost about $1/GByte.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC