What program to use for DVD authoring? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 21st, 2008, 06:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What program to use for DVD authoring?

Hello,

I have Adobe Encore CS3 and I'm having quite a few problems with it working on my system (Premiere Pro CS3 works just fine...)

What other programs can give you the flexibility and menu setup options like Encore?

I have a PC based system and I'm authoring widescreen SD videos.

Thanks for any feedback :)
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. Holmes View Post
I'm having quite a few problems with it working on my system (Premiere Pro CS3 works just fine...)
What problems?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Program stops working and I get error messages. But I'm done trying to fix it, I just want a program that works.
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Trustee

David... CS3 is a very complex bunch of software. Its installation and configuration is much more involved than a Web browser. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. It's just that Encore, or any other similarly capable DVD authoring tool can be subject to technological pitfalls.

Read the manual. Read the information in the Adobe knowledgebase. Check your configuration. Re-install the software if you have to in order to get your system to work. It works for many thousands of users around the world, and it can for you.

If you want something simpler, there's always Nero. It'll work, but you won't have the creative flexibility that Encore and tools like it provide.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Major Player

I've run into a few bugs here and there with Encore myself. First thing I'd recommend is to detach any and ALL USB memory sticks. I don't know why, but neither of my two systems will even start Encore if I have my little 2GB USB stick plugged in.

The other times I've run into problems are when I have too many applications open. Sometimes I'll have Premiere, After Effects, Encore, and another couple programs running at the same time, and Encore doesn't like that when it's time for it to work.

If you're just starting out and trying to learn Encore, I'd suggest exporting directly from Premiere Pro into Encore. It will render your main timeline in an MPEG2 format, and automatically place it in your Encore timeline. Doing things that way for a little while helped me to learn how Encore works and is organized.

I've worked through several bumps in the road with Encore, and while it does have a few drawbacks, I think it does an excellent job when used in tandem with Premiere and After Effects.

But, if you're really that sick of it, I think Sony has a program called DVD Architect that's part of the whole Sound Forge/Vegas suite. I remember not liking the very early versions, but I'm sure it's changed quite a bit over the last 6 years or so.

I'm not sure if Avid has a similar DVD authoring software title, but then again, you might have to break down and buy their Media Composer Suite to get it. I think it can be had for about $2500, but that's quite a chunk of change. Aside from that, there are several different titles catering to the consumer market like Tripp said, but you won't have anywhere near the freedom and control that Encore provides.

Good Luck!
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Honestly, I'm not trying to get the program fixed. I've tried every way up and down with the program and my computer, but since it came for free with my Premiere Pro CS3 I'm not all that upset with purchasing another program to replace it.

Besides being difficult and confusing, it just plain wont work on my computer...

So, what program do you use? $2500 ain't possible :) try around $150 or so. I don't do HD, and wont for years to come. I also am not one for motion menus or funky DVD architecture. Just a simple basic program that has a few easy to use menu structures.

Thanks again.
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I don't know if it has been mentioned but there is a program called DVDit made by roxio that may suit your needs. Whether or not it works better than Encore I can't say, as I've never used it.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/dvdit/dvdit.html
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:19 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Termini View Post
I don't know if it has been mentioned but there is a program called DVDit made by roxio that may suit your needs. Whether or not it works better than Encore I can't say, as I've never used it.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/dvdit/dvdit.html
Roxio is well known to cause many problems with Adobe CS3 and other programs. Many consider it junk.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
If you want something simpler, there's always Nero. It'll work, but you won't have the creative flexibility that Encore and tools like it provide.
I've had very good luck with Nero as well.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. Holmes View Post
Besides being difficult and confusing, it just plain wont work on my computer...
Encore CS3 is honestly one of the easiest 'pro' level DVD authoring packages out there. I'd recommend investing in some video tutorials (whether through lynda.com or the Adobe Classroom in the Box type thing) if you're having problems with it, you'll likely pick it up rather quickly. Whether or not you perceive as having gotten it for free with PP CS3 (they just raised the price to include it as a bundle, so it wasn't really a free value add, though definitely worth every penny), it's worth giving an honest shot. That is, of course, if you can solve you technical issues with getting it going, which I'd recommend not giving up on yet.

Just my two cents. If you want a super easy point and click package (that lacks much of the power and control of a pro package, though), Nero is great.
Old June 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #11
Major Player

I usually use DVDit version 6-pro. It's a little buggy from time to time but I like the interface...it's quick and easy. It's the same as AVID-dvd which is included in a lot of their software packages.

I also use DVD-lab for more complex authoring...it's has a lot more pro features than most others...but some of it is over my head and the interface takes a bit of time to get comfortable with.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC