Opinions on this laptop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 11th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #1
Trustee

Opinions on this laptop

Dual core, 2.2ghz.
I'll pay a bit extra for 4gb ram.
HDMI output, good for editing with another screen
Mini firewire input ,is this firewire 800 ?
Half decent graphics card
Express card 34/54 slot, important for me with my EX1 cards.
E-sata connection

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/r...nb&c=all&r=ALR

Price seems cheap for the features.

Paul.
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Major Player

If it's the real deal and no scam - it surely looks OK.

A T7500 with 15" and 2gb memory for under 500 quids is nice! (if you don't need to buy the OS).

Didn't see any options for upgradning the memory - but that is easily done by yourself(just remember that you'll probably need to ditch the included memory and by 2 new sticks 2x2gb) (and you do know that only 64bit OS's can take advantages of 4gb).

If the drive is slow in the computer, you can exchange it for a faster one - and make the included HDD you external backup HDD

// Lazze
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Siden View Post
and you do know that only 64bit OS's can take advantages of 4gb.

// Lazze
Not true. Any 32 bit OS can take advantage of 4 GB.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Trustee

It's not a scam.
It's from a computer shop which i'm a regular customer at.
The shop is called Novatech.
They custom build pc's aswell as having some of their own spec models already built.
I could probably walk into the shop and say " i want one of those but with 4gb of ram instead of 2", they'd just open it up and stick it in.

I've got 4gb of ram in my desktop 32bit vista, and the service pack 1,just installed,now see's the whole 4gb.
if you look at the specs on the laptop it says that 4gb is available.
The price is £549 for the standard version,2.0 ghz a bit more for the pro version,2.2ghz.
the price of their ram is good, i reckon i can get the pro with 4gb for about £650.

Paul.
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link to the Novatech site - let us know how you get on, what price you manage to secure and how the laptop performs in the real world for you.
Old June 12th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #6
Trustee

Sean.
I haven't got the laptop yet, i'm just doing my homeowrk before spending.
It's not going to be used for any major editing as such, just transfering footage from the cards, hopefully faster than via sony card reader/usb and maybe re-encoding footage for clients etc.

At the moment,on location, i'm using a basic laptop, small external usb hard-drive and sony card reader which needs mains power, so lots of stufff to carry around and plug in etc.

If i did want to do any editing on the new laptop then i like the fact that it's got an HDMI output for 2nd screen and firewire and esata for external hard-drives.

I just need to find out the speed of the internal hard-drive, but again this doesn't matter too much as all my footage goes on my external drives, which i know are 7200rpm.

Paul.
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Harm,

I won't discuss the matter of the significance of 32 bits - you'll figure it out - some time.

It is true, Vista SP1 shows 4gb installed in the machine - MS has done that to calm users that thought they had been fooled buying a 4gb machine and ending up with 3gb. So now they show 4 - but they can only adress about 3gb - cause the rest of the adress space is needed for PCI/PCI-E.

Paul,

Sounds like a real good deal then!

// Lazze
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Trustee

Lars,

With 4 GB RAM installed all 64 and 32 bit OS can only recognize 4 GB, not more, not less. You will understand that in time if you study this topic.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC