Problems after upgrade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems after upgrade

I just did an upgrade to pinnacle 12 ultamate, added an Radeon 9600 graphics card (repalced the nvida 5300) Problem that I have incounterd is the playback in my preview window is choppy. This being after I have the project done and ready to make movie and all of the transitions, music, editing is complete.

I have tried to do a short 5 min preview to check and I still have the same problem skip skip skip during play.

I did not have this when I ran Pinnacle studio 9.4 only sometimes when the preview first started, a few frames then it would smooth and be ok

Running 2 gb memory on the system (should be plenty). also 2.66 ghz Intel Processor 2 hard drives one for OS & NLE and one for video storage
any help or advice out there?
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

Did you do a complete uninstall of the NVidia drivers? They don't like "hanging around".

Have you downloaded the latest Catalyst drivers for your new card?

The basic model of Radeon 9600 is no "high speed card" IMHO - the XT model is okay but still kind of old.

// Lazze
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks Lars,

I did uninstall nvidia drivers and did upgrade the radeon driver, also I found some system tweaks from the video guys web site which I think has helped. I cleared all of my old projects from Pinnicle and from my storage drive (trying to do some house cleaning to free up some HD space)

I have not tried the system since. I have another project comming soon so well see then.

One of the tweaks that I found was that I did not have one of my drives set to DMA so that might have been one problem. The Video Guys web site has some good info on fine tunning your system to help your NLE run better. Some good reading there for XP users.

Thanks again, Joe
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #4
Major Player

yeah, running something in PIO mode really s*cks :-) It hogs the CPU like crazy(since the cpu will have to move EVERY byte from the drive )

Hope it works out!

// Lazze

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC