Pinnacle Pro One Information at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 28th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pinnacle Pro One Information

I was wondering if anyone familiar with the Pinnacle ProOne line could tell me if the only difference between the ProOne product and the ProOne RTDV is that the RTDV version outputs to DV through the firewire in real time. If I am correct, both versions will output to NTSC in real time and there is no difference between MPG I & II performance on them.

I am just trying to decide whether or not to spend the extra money on the RTDV product since the only output I am creating would be DVD and VHS so I am not sure why I would need to spend the extra $300 for the RTDV.

Also, can anyone tell me if this product would be a good choice for editing wedding videography?

Thanks for the help.
Darrell Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Darrell

I can't help you with either question (although my guess for the latter would be 'yes'), but if you're planning to use Adobe Premiere and might be interested in upgrade paths, you should be aware that Pinnacle have abandonned future support for Premiere. AFAIK they will continue to support 6.5 and below, but Pro and above will not be supported.

Just FYI.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 08:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Nigel is right, Pinnacle are phasing out their DV500 and Pro One lines in favour of Edition based packages. You might want to look alone those lines before purchasing the Pro One.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #4
Wrangler

The ProOne will no longer support Premiere, meaning you'll be stuck, permanently, at Premiere 6.5 -- it won't work in 7.0.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #5
Wrangler

And when Pinnacle drops support, they REALLY drop support.
Old July 28th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #6
Skyonic New York

do not BUY this product, it has bugs that will not be fixed...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #7
Wrangler

The only difference between them is that you get real-time DV output from the Pro One RTDV. I had not realised that Pinnacle was stopping upgrades on Adobes products.

For another option try Matrox RTX 100 Extreme. Its a very nice bit of kit although needs a really fast PC to work its best. It has all the same kind of features as the PRo One but will be supported by Premiere Pro.

Hope this helps,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #8
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

As has been pointed out - Pro_One RTDV will not be supported for Premiere 7. Pinnacle has a new software called Edition. It has all of the cool real-time 3D transitions & FX of Pro-One.

You should definitely check out Edition. We've got a hands on review of it on our website http://www.videoguys.com/Edition5review.html

If you want a great Premiere Pro solution - RTX100 Xtreme includes a FREE upgrade to Premeire Pro. Matrox did a great job on the RTX100 and its gotten even better with the Xtreme drivers. I did a hands on review of RTX100 when it first shipped as well http://www.videoguys.com/RTX100review.html

Gary
Old July 29th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #9
Trustee

Gary,

Whats the deal with Pinnacle and their 55 day/ $55 Edition upgrade. I have a DV500/Premiere and applied for their upgrade. I got an initial e-mail saying I would be sent a second e-mail telling me how to get the upgrade but still haven't seen hide nor hair of the second e-mail. That was about a month ago. Does this offer actually exist or is it just more Pinnacle marketing crap?
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #10
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

I believe Pinnacle just started shipping them. It is a 100% Pinnacle prgram. No dealers are involved.

Gary
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #11
Trustee

Guess I'll just have to wait then. Thanks for the quick reply
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC