HELP PLEASE! premiere6.0/canon gl2 incompatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 29th, 2003, 10:54 AM   #1
New Boot

HELP PLEASE! premiere6.0/canon gl2 incompatibility

I just buyed an gl2 and now i've discovered that neither the Pinnacle system nor the Adobe Premiere 6.0 recognized it as dv device.
I use a DV500 plus, premiere 6.0, win 98.
can somebody help me????!!!!
Juan Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #2
Wrangler

Have you told premiere what your device is?

did you plug the camera in before loading up Premiere?

It also might be worth upgrading your operating system to Win 2K or XP

All the best,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Juan,

Althought this may not apply to you...

Make sure that you FIRST install Premiere on your PC before installing the DV500 Plus Hardware and software/drivers... that way the DV500 Plus Hardware will install its presets into the appropriate Premiere.

Hope this helps,
Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

"...that way the DV500 Plus Hardware will install its presets into the appropriate Premiere FOLDER"

Sorry it got cut off...

Jack
Old July 29th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #5
New Boot

Ed, i'd tried to configure premiere for canon (generic) but it didn't work. I'd plugged the camera on even before i started the computer. I'd tried everything, except upgrading.
Adobe still works fine with xl1.
I hope there still another solution before upgrading the system.

PD: sorry if my english isn't very good
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Juan,

Sounds like you need the latest drivers for your DV500 Plus Card. Most new cameras wont work because the Firewire protocol has been changed and Pinaccle no longer use their own Dv codec... they use the standard Microsoft codec which is a much more widely accepted format and will work with any firewire card.

The latest drivers (v4.5) for the DV 500 Plus is here:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/support/d...&DocTypesID=14

But be warned it is 347MB in size!

Cheers,
Jack
Old July 30th, 2003, 03:35 AM   #7
New Boot

Jack, I will follow your recommendation... only one more question: to upgrade the driver, must the system be upgraded too (from win98 to 2000)?
Old July 30th, 2003, 04:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

No, the DV500Plus driver (version4.5) supports Windows98SE, Windows Me, Windows XP or Windows 2000.

It does NOT support NT4

Read the Readme here:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/support/d...&ProductID=321

Regards,
Jack
Old July 30th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #9
Wrangler

Juan,

Can you use the media capture tool provided with the DV 500 to capture material from your camera?

What project template are you using in premiere?

It might be worth upgrading Premiere to 6.02 or 6.5.

Ed.

PS My engish is just as good as yours, and I come from England!!! :-)

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old July 30th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #10
New Boot

Jack, i'm downloading the file but when they say : "This version installs properly under Premiere 6.5" ... that means that could work unproperly under 6.0?

Ed, i usually use the pinnacle capture tool and it didn't worked with gl2. I don't know what the "project tamplate" is, can you draw it for me? =)

thank you both for your answers and your time
Old July 30th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

-- Juan
I use this DV500Plus driver (v4.5) myself and I still use Premiere 6 with no problems. I would however download a small free upgrade patch for Premiere from:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

I upgraded to version 6.01 (only 541KB in size) with no problems, they also have version 6.02beta, but I try and stay away from beta drivers.

-- Ed
The DV Tools Capture program that used to come with the DV500 Plus is no longer provided by Pinnacle. It used to be limited to capture only 2GB of video and then stop. All the capturing is done by Premiere and is not limited as to how much you can capture.

Cheers,
Jack
Old July 31st, 2003, 02:21 AM   #12
Wrangler

Jack,

I do also use the DV 500 + DVD version. I still get the DV tools capture program. It might have been due to me upgrading from the DV500.

I had noticed that if I used the premiere capture window to capture under the DV500 DV PAL project template, it would not give me any in-put from my XL1. However if I used the standard DV PAL setting I was able to capture. This might be a config error I have but it works for me.

Juan,

The project templates are the list of settings that appear when you load up premiere.

Cheers,

Ed

Old July 31st, 2003, 04:24 AM   #13
New Boot

Ed, that is "project setting" for me... and I use Pinnacle DV NTCS. I just tried to caputre selecting Standard NTSC but it didn't work either.

Jack, I'm ready to upgrade the driver but i still have some doubt. Somewhere else i readed that it could be really problematic. I understand that I must completly uninstall the previous driver but, is necessary to disconnect the DV 500 card?
Old July 31st, 2003, 10:32 AM   #14
Regular Crew

-- Ed,

I have just read the DV500Plus Driver (ver4.5) Readme file and it stated that it should have the DVTools program like you mentioned. I am not sure why after my upgrade from driver version 2.01 to 4.5, the DVTools program was not there. I have just posted a question about this at the Pinnacle DV500Plus forum:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/wwwmenu.asp?Langue_ID=7

-- Juan,

I don't think physically removing the card is necessary, but make sure you uninstall the old driver fully (including all shared files - as per Pinnacle) before you install the new driver v4.5.

Other than that there is a lot of people who have done it at the above forum, so you might want to read about it or even ask a few questions there BEFORE you do the install.

Cheers,
Jack
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:01 AM   #15
Regular Crew

-- Juan,

Here is the actual link to the post I did at the Pinnacle forum regarding the installation of new drivers for thre DV500Plus card. I already had one reply with the detailed steps to take when upgrading from old drivers to new ones.

Hope ithe link works:
http://tinyurl.com/in3o

If not go to the DV500Plus forum here:
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/wwwmenu.asp?Langue_ID=7

and search for the Topic titled "DVTools gone after upgrade to v4.5 from v2 Driver"

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC