Power outtages and the effects on your NLE, etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 14th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Power outtages and the effects on your NLE, etc.

With the huge power outtage up north and in Canada, what effects can it have on our NLEs, computers; etc.?

BAD! Without a UPS (Univeral Power Supply), you can lose EVERYTHING. Plus, they offer insurance if things DO get screwed up.

My two cents,

heath
Old August 14th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #2
High School Student

We are lucky here in Canton, because the town right above us, akron, no more then a 10 minute drive, if that, dont have any power, along with NY, cleveland and some places in Canda near here.

What do you mean you could loose everything without a UPS? When the power went out, your computer shut off as well, and the only stuff you'd loose would be anything you didnt save that your working on. Anyone with their power out right now though, would be smart to unplug all their major applicances (computer included) because when the electricity starts coming back, it could cause a power surge. Surge protectors = good.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : We are lucky here in Canton, because the town right above us, akron, no more then a 10 minute drive, if that, dont have any power, along with NY, cleveland and some places in Canda near here.

What do you mean you could loose everything without a UPS? When the power went out, your computer shut off as well, and the only stuff you'd loose would be anything you didnt save that your working on. Anyone with their power out right now though, would be smart to unplug all their major applicances (computer included) because when the electricity starts coming back, it could cause a power surge. Surge protectors = good. -->>>

With power outtages, there can be a power surge beforehand, which can DESTROY your computer. That's why I always unplug my computers before I go to work, bed, out, college, or during a storm. I'll be buying a UPS soon.

heath
Old August 14th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #4
High School Student

Your over doing it, dude. Buy a couple surge protectors, and relax, heh.

My computer is on 24/7, and thats the way I like it, and if I want to get technical about it, it's actually better to leave your computer on all the time, instead of turning it on, off, on, off, on off, etc etc....simply because of your processor, video card, ram..(etc) getting hot and cool, hot and cool, hot and cool. It's kind of like how it's better for your car to drive on the highway, consistantly, instead of city streets, because of "stop and go" driving. :D
Old August 14th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : Your over doing it, dude. Buy a couple surge protectors, and relax, heh.

My computer is on 24/7, and thats the way I like it, and if I want to get technical about it, it's actually better to leave your computer on all the time, instead of turning it on, off, on, off, on off, etc etc....simply because of your processor, video card, ram..(etc) getting hot and cool, hot and cool, hot and cool. It's kind of like how it's better for your car to drive on the highway, consistantly, instead of city streets, because of "stop and go" driving. :D -->>>

Surge protectors don't quite work that well, Alex. Ask my professor who got screwed last spring...HE had a surge protector.

heath
Old August 14th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #6
High School Student

Yeah, well I know mine doesn't work correctly anymore, i've had it since 1997 and it's already been hit by a surge once, and doesn't work as a surge protector anymore, it still works as a power strip though. :D I need to buy a new one.
Old August 14th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : Yeah, well I know mine doesn't work correctly anymore, i've had it since 1997 and it's already been hit by a surge once, and doesn't work as a surge protector anymore, it still works as a power strip though. :D I need to buy a new one. -->>>

Hmmm, good point. Wait a second, you said surge protector... I wonder if my professor had a power strip...That would explain a lot. Regardless, I read an article a few years ago that surge protectors aren't as great as Universal Power Supplies.

heath
Old August 15th, 2003, 09:38 AM   #8
Wrangler

I don't like keeping the machine on all the time just because I always fear the CPU fan will go down or something. Anyway I might be picking up a UPS but for now I have a high-end surge protector/power "cleaner" by the same brand that does Monster Cable. It's called Monster Clean Power- it's like a voltage regulator which helps clean up line noise on incoming power in addition to protecting against surges.
http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...r.asp?pin=1219
I picked up the largest one they had- it's 2 1/2 feet long and has 12 plugs. My only concern is that it's made to power home theatres- and has one side for video components and one for audio (apparetnly they use different methods for voltage regulating/cleaning). Nothing will beat having a UPS when the power does drop though- will at least give me enough time to save my project and power-down. Anyone suggest a good one?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #9
Major Player

APC is a good brand. You don't need more than about 10 minutes of protection so don't get bedazzled by the times on the box. Something like 95% of all power outtages last less than that.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #10
Wrangler

Heck, you could get along with only a couple minutes. Just enough time to save and shut-down right? Isn't that the primary reason for the UPC to 1.Not cut off when power goes out, and 2.Give you enough power to safely turn the PC off?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #11
High School Student

"I don't like keeping the machine on all the time just because I always fear the CPU fan will go down or something."

Ah, no faith in your equipment. :D

I'll have to post a picture of the fan I got over my heatsink, and that has been there for like a year now. It's a 80mm fan, that I just have hovering over the heatsink basically, and it's attached to by powersupply with tape and all that other good stuff, I trust it. ;) My processor used to run much cooler with the 60mm screamer I had on there, but I broke a blade off that and cut my finger, so oh well...
Old August 15th, 2003, 01:43 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

From Kevin Nardelle on the Mac NLE page:

unplug
Just unplug after your system went down and DO NOT plug back in till the electrical system is stable and running for a day or two. You will be having brownouts and surges while the entire grid is brought back up online for a while. I placed a call into NY to my friend to let him know that I wanted my servers unplugged till the whole thing is stable and running ( I am in New Orleans ). Being a former electronics tech I am forecasting there will be a massive disaster on the computer and electronics front with this blackout as the electricity beging to flow again. The only way that things will be ok is to remove them from the grid completely untill it is stable. Bringing back a grid to full capacity is a time consuming and dificult process, it takes time to become reliable again. While you are waiting - be shooting some footage. Wait a couple days to plug your expensive equipment back in.

A UPS should be your first line of defense to get you down safely and cleanly unmounted. If you are not using one and not making backups, SHAME ON YOU.

My Final Cut Pro X blog
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #13
Major Player

Well, being an electronic engineer, I forecast you'll hear nothing of the kind. I agree it's best to leave your sensitive things unplugged till you get power, and maybe for a few hours afterwards, but no need to wait a day or two. When a system is up, it's up. When it fails, it should fail quickly.

You need more time than a couple of minutes from your UPS. IIRC, the typical outage is less than five minutes. Many times less than that. This way you can continue working and give the system a chance to come back online before quitting rather than powering up and down if it's intermittent.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC