64 bit technology and 32 bit software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Major Player

64 bit technology and 32 bit software

Anybody having any issues with their OS that are running 64 bit? From what I'm learning, much of the existing software is 32 bit.

I was very close to buying an new PC today(Windows Vista 64 bit) until I started talking to video folks about the problems they were encountering with 64 bit.

Any thoughts?

Older software working O.K?

Tx
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #2
New Boot

Most application software will run fine using the built-in 32-bit emulation mode (or whatever they call it). Any problems will typically show up in any software that needs to load drivers or other aspects of the OS. I haven't run into any problems yet in the pure application world, but I don't run that much software either.
Phil Seastrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I haven't had any problems. 32-bit software runs exactly as if it were on a 32-bit machine. With a new PC bundled with 64-bit Vista, all the hardware will would fine. Only old or odd-ball hardware that you add later may be a problem. And if that means audio hardware, chances are it wouldn't work on 32-bit Vista, either.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Good info.

Thanks.
Roger Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC