What do you think of these for monitoring audio - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 27th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #16
Major Player

I know... itīs this forum faults...

Glenn:

I hear you on that. Iīve allways thought of myself as an artist-creator (I donīt like much the word artist by itself)...

But I also Like to depend on other people the least possible... as "commitment" in my line of no-MONEY-business is, more times than I would like, either proportionally inverse as "Efficiency -Knowledge-Capacity" or has a high rate of "desertion"....

So Iīve been becoming as "Technical" as possible to be able to control as much as I can.... And this forum is good for that..

But this forum... is addictive... and makes me too perfectionist... and I keep learning stuff that makes me realize how little I know... and new knowledge makes me want to buy new toys to put it in practice... and Keeps me awake longer than I should...

Oh man.. Ignorance is Bliss... What happy days those ones when I would shoot with my Hi8 in full auto and not even know what auto was...
And those days I could watch a movie without thinking "how they do that?"--- or the worst "I could do that"...

Sorry for the insight....
Thanx for the advice...
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #17
Wrangler

It's not that you cannot mix sound on non-nearfields, it's that you cannot do so with predictability.

What I had to do for a while was mix with a great deal of attention to the VU meters and use some stereo speakers. Then I would test the sound on a cheap TV, my entertainment system with the big sub-woofer and a few other systems. It worked and I sold a lot of tapes.

The big difference when I got the nearfields is that when it sounded right on the nearfields, it was as good as it was going to get on the others too. Unless I mixed up sound for each system separately. Cannot do that, my tapes are not played excusively in Lucas-approved theaters.

Mix with headphones if you have to. Just learn what the gotcha's are and apply the proper amount of windage.

Or find a friend (which I did) who will allow you to visit his/her studio once in a while to check and adjust the sound. You could also see if there is the equivalent in Barcelona of the 2-year college. Here they are inexpensive to attend and sometimes have decent equipment.

But don't let any of this stop you from making movies.
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #18
Trustee

While i realise I'm talking out of your price range Federico the best set up should include a number of different monitoring options similar to what Mike mentioned above. I spent some time in a recording studio just after finishing school recording bands and jingles for TV/radio. When doing mixdown (the final sound mix) we would monitor on 4 different speaker setups, the high-end Tannoy studio monitors, some high-mid range Bose home stereo speakers, a set of Tandy el-chepos, and a standard car stereo. This combination gave us a good indication of the best mix to suit the average user.

Myself at the moment I am using Sony headphones and the speaker in my TV, while not the best set-up it does for now until I can afford something better.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 03:02 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
But don't let any of this stop you from making movies.
Donīt worry Iīve crossed the Point of No Return...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC