master or slave? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 4th, 2003, 06:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

master or slave?

I do now have a 40 GB harddrive. For videoediting I shall buy a new and faster 120GB harddrive.

I therefore wonder: Is it best to have the new harddrive as master (head-drive)?

If I have the 40 GB harddrive as master (head-drive), can I then get all the effect from the new 120 GB harddrive when I’m working with videoediting?

The new harddrive as master or slave? What is best, and why? Or doesn’t it matter?
Old September 4th, 2003, 08:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi ( or "HEJ" as we say in Swedish ) ,

As long as you keep them on seperate IDE-channels you'll be just fine.

Rule of thumb: Have the app/system disk on one IDE channel, and the working disk on another IDE channel ( you may want to have the temp-storage on the system disk ).

What you want to avoid is having the heads on the HDD going back&forward feeding 2 programs(or more) at the same time.

You also want to be able to use the full 133mhz bus for each HDD, therefore if possible, you should avoid having system and work disk on the same channel.

That said, I can confuse you a bit more - If you buy a disk with 8mb write cache, then you're minimizing the impact of having 2 disks on the same IDE channel.

// Lazze
Old September 4th, 2003, 09:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Lars

Lars, the HDD I'm gona buy is Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9. 133 MB/s, 7200, Cache 8 MB, access 9 ms. And will you please e-mail me and explain these complex things in our language so I am sure to understand you right.
Old September 4th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

>Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9. 133 MB/s, 7200, Cache 8 MB

This is definitely a high performance disk at this point in time.

133 MB/s is the bus rate. You attach the disk to the bus. The disk can transfer up to the bus rate, but will almost never reach that level of performance unless the data is read from the cache.

7200 RPM (rotations/minute) is the disk rotational speed. The faster the RPM,
the higher the potential data rate and disk head seek time.
Disk heads have to move from data chuck to data chunk, which is called seeking. Put your money into 7200 rather than 5400 RPM disks if you are doing video editing. Faster disks and disk configurations (RAID) exist, but they are very expensive.

Cache 8 MBytes. This is a fast memory storage for disk data.
Data accessed from this memory reads/writes much faster than the disk itself.
The cache helps with disk performance by buffering a small amount of data (8 MBytes) so that the disk can transfer that data to the platter on its own time. The sytem can then just write to the disk without having to wait for the disk to write the data to the platter.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I did a search on this model and came up with a pretty good evaluation of it at this site here...Hope this helps

http://www.thetechlounge.com/review.php?REVIEWDIR=maxtor_200_7200

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC