Convert to H.264 - program like Compressor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Convert to H.264 - program like Compressor?

I find that I get a lot better rendering times if I render to MPEG-2 in Sony Vegas when I'm applying effects than when I render directly to H.264 or WMV9. I could just re-import the MPEG-2 file back into Vegas and re-render as H.264, but I'd rather have something like Compressor (a batch transcoder) running in the background encoding the MPEG-2 file into H.264 while I get to work on the next scene in Vegas. Any recommendations?

Last edited by Brian Boyko; January 6th, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You are throwing away OODLES of information going to MPEG-2. Why would you then go from this very lossy format, to mpeg4 which is lossy (though not as bad)?

You will get much higher quality going from your source file, straight to mpeg4.
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #3

Ervin Farkas did a bunch of tests and found that MPEG_streamclip gave the best conversion. I've been testing it on that basis and really like what I'm getting out
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Major Player

You misunderstand me.

I'm not looking for a particular codec to convert one file.

I'm looking for an application to convert multiple files in a batch.

As for why I'd render to MPEG-2 then H.264 - I probably wouldn't, now that I think about it.
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There are loads of programs that can do that for you.
One product that comes to mind is Autodesk Cleaner. It has been used by many professionals for many years.

If you're looking for the fastest encode possible, check out Badaboom media converter. You'll need a Geforce 8 series or higher nvidia graphics card to use the program, but it will be the fastest encoder by a mile. I'm not sure if it does batch processing, and it's input and output file types are limited. However it will do h.264.

badaboomit.com
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Trustee

TMPGEnc Xpress, Sorenson Squeeze and Procoder will all batch process, and have H.264 support.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC