not much on Edition 5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 6th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #1
New Boot

not much on Edition 5?

Perhaps I just don't see it, but not much discussion about Edition 5 around here?

Edition 5 Users, please share your impression about the software: positiove and negative.

Tips to shorten the learning curve would be nice, too.

Thanks.

Sam
Sam Tenizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Sam,

I've been using Edition since version 4.5 and am currently using version 5.1 and the DV 500 version on different machines. The comments below mainly relate to version 5.1.

I really like Edition, version 5.0 was a bit buggy but the newly released service pack 1 seems to have resolved all of the issues that were affecting me. I am finding it to be very stable and the fact that it saves automatically means that the few (low single figures) crashes i have had have resulted in no loss of work at all.

The large number of Real Time Effects are great but its Background Rendering of all effects that is the real time saver when comparing Edition to other NLE Software.

The Edition user interface is one that you will either love (once you get used to it) or hate (immediately) its nothing like a windows environment and relies heavily on context sensitive menus and use of the right mouse button. I got used to this very quickly it bringing back memories of the OS of my old Amiga 500. But I can see why some people dislike it and would advise anyone considering Edition to have an extensive play before parting with any cash.

The best thing about the interface is its continuity, all the effects and editors having a similar look and feel. Even Hollywood FX5. It really is a case of you learn how to use one and you have learnt how to use them all.

One negative thing it is that Edition is not compatible with as many plugins as Adobe Premiere, but this may change in time.

I would recommend Edition, but would also recoginse that some people will not like the way it works so would say you really should try it before you buy it.

Hope the above rambling help.

Jon
Old September 7th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There is also an excellant review by a Edition5 (David Rennie)user at http://www.fastforwardclub.com/product-reviews.htm
He's been using Edition since it 1st came out as V4.5 and very knowledgable about it.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi John & Don,

John:

Thank you for your positive evaluation of Edition 5. I recently purchased it and at the moment i am still trying to get used to its interface. In time, I hope to like it,too.

Are you using the card that came with it? If yes, what do you think of it? I haven't used it yet because my customized system has RADEON Pro 128 card in it. Should I replace it with the card that came with EDITION?

Don: Thanks for the link. It was this gentleman's review that heavily influenced me to buy EDITION although I was leaning towards VEGAS.

Sam
Sam Tenizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sam,

I am not using the Edition Pro card. The reason for this is that it does not allow the use of dual monitors and I can use my DV500 system for analogue capture and export.

The main benefits of the Edition Pro card are that it allows analogue capture, export and prieview to a TV/Video monitor.

If you don't need these features is probably not worth fitting the card. Especially if you use your PC for gaming.

Hope this helps.

Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC