Hi Ya'all from Tennessee at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 27th, 2002, 01:39 AM   #1
sergeant

Hi Ya'all from Tennessee

Just joined up, but I have owned my XL1s since 8/01 and love it... I do police training films for my department... Just considering the 16X manual lens, as the auto lens is a real pain when it comes to critical focus.... I'm also using the Pinnacle DV500 with Adobe 6.0... Not too happy with it... Anyone have a better editing system to suggest, I'm listening.... That is, other than Apple's, as I don't have a Mac... That may come later....
Old March 27th, 2002, 02:58 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Sergeant,

I'm also hoping to get the manual lens...but they're pretty pricey, so maybe I can pick up a "hot" one...er...I mean...what I meant to say is maybe I can get one at a good price. ;)

If you have anything you've filmed posted, let us know.

Last edited by John Locke; March 27th, 2002 at 04:15 AM.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2002, 03:50 AM   #3
Trustee

Welcome to the precinct,

I'm sure your training films are more interesting than the ones I used to have to watch when I was in the air force. You're using and XL1 so it's a good start.

I've been using a DV500 for a couple of years now, and yes, it can be troublesome. I've got mine sorted out and it works well, but it did take some time and skinned knuckles.

Here's a few things to check to get it working well.

1. Ensure the DV500 is compatable with your motherboard/video/sound card. Install the PPE tool if required.
http://www.pinnaclesys.de/ussupport/compatibility.asp?product_id=598&lang=2&type_id=4

2. Ensure the DV500 and it's components is installed onto it's own IRQ

3. Ensure you have the latest driver. Currently V3.0
http://www.pinnaclesys.de/ussupport/drivers.asp?lang=2&product_id=598&type_id=4

4. Don't use Win98! Use Win2000. Hang off on WinXP until it matures a bit.

5. Install at least 256MB or RAM. I use 512MB and things run very smoothly

6. Install your OS/Apps on a seperate HDD to where you store your video files. Partition your OS HDD and set the partition size to 3x the amount of RAM you have.I.E if you have 256MB the partition size will be 768MB. Or if you have an old 2GB HDD laying around use that. Dedicate this partition to your swap file.

7. Dedicate the computer to video editing only. Only install what you will need for video production. I.E Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects.

It will not be bulletproof, I don't think it is possible using Premiere, but it will be a good system to get you going.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2002, 09:26 AM   #4
sergeant

<<<-- Originally posted by afterburnerDV : Welcome to the precinct,

I'm sure your training films are more interesting than the ones I used to have to watch when I was in the air force. You're using and XL1 so it's a good start.

I've been using a DV500 for a couple of years now, and yes, it can be troublesome. I've got mine sorted out and it works well, but it did take some time and skinned knuckles.

Here's a few things to check to get it working well.

1. Ensure the DV500 is compatable with your motherboard/video/sound card. Install the PPE tool if required.
http://www.pinnaclesys.de/ussupport/compatibility.asp?product_id=598&lang=2&type_id=4

2. Ensure the DV500 and it's components is installed onto it's own IRQ

3. Ensure you have the latest driver. Currently V3.0
http://www.pinnaclesys.de/ussupport/drivers.asp?lang=2&product_id=598&type_id=4

4. Don't use Win98! Use Win2000. Hang off on WinXP until it matures a bit.

5. Install at least 256MB or RAM. I use 512MB and things run very smoothly

6. Install your OS/Apps on a seperate HDD to where you store your video files. Partition your OS HDD and set the partition size to 3x the amount of RAM you have.I.E if you have 256MB the partition size will be 768MB. Or if you have an old 2GB HDD laying around use that. Dedicate this partition to your swap file.

7. Dedicate the computer to video editing only. Only install what you will need for video production. I.E Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects.

It will not be bulletproof, I don't think it is possible using Premiere, but it will be a good system to get you going. -->>>

HI....

Thanks for your fast reply..... Just to let you know I'm not a novice at this stuff (computers).... Build my own... It's a 1.4G w/ 768m of ram, and 2 seagate X15 hard drives (stripped) for just the video, besides an 80 G for the operating system... Theyr'e all SCSI.... The motherboard is one of their recommended boards... One of the problems is it's a full tower and loaded.... Yes, IRQ's are a problem.... Not enough.... Running W 2K pro and it's not an easy system to manually set IRQ's... I found version 3.0 has a lot of problems and I got fed up with it and uninstalled it and put back 2.0.... It's all updated also.. 3.0 causes a lot of frame drops plus other things... Have been working mainly with analog equipment for the past 20 years and just switched to DV last year, so I'm fairly new to it.... Before video became affordable, I worked with film... Mitchells, Aurion, Arriflex cameras and alike... That was a whole differant ballgame....

As for Adobe 6.0, I don't think it's that great from what I've seen so far.... Too many things you can't do... One biggie is the audio... It only displays a full stereo channel (both L&R combined)instead of seperating the left from right so they can be edited individually.... Plus, there are too many errors caused bvesides it freezing up, being slow and a bunch of other problems.... Hopefully, soon after I get my 16X manual lens and the B&W viewfinder for the XL1s, I will work on saving for the Mac G4 1G Dual and Final Cut Pro, but that won't come for at least 6 months and in the meantime I have 4 projects I'm working on that are driving me crazy with this program..... Just got After Effects production bundle, but haven't used it yet, so I don't know how it will work for me....

Well, better get off and get some work done... Let's hear from you again... E Mail address is hcsd2@comcast.net....

Ron
Old March 27th, 2002, 09:38 AM   #5
sergeant

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : Welcome Sergeant,

I'm also hoping to get the manual lens...but they're pretty pricey, so maybe I can pick up a "hot" one...er...I mean...what I meant to say is maybe I can get one at a good price. ;)

If you have anything you've filmed posted, let us know. -->>>

Hi John....

Your a long way off... Seoul....

Yeah, I know it's pricey, but it's good... Been saving for it... Maybe it will be a reality by the end of next month.... Then I want to get the B&W viewfinder, another pricey thing... B&H Photo in NY has about the best prices.... That will complete my camera setup...

No, I don't have any films posted, as you may think... I am a police officer and involved with police training films that I make for my department.... Maybe someday I may try my hand at some sort of other film....
Old March 27th, 2002, 05:15 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hi Ron,

Just to put a bug in your ear...

Recently, a friend of mine's 18 year-old daughter went to study in the States for four years. As a worried father, he asked me to talk to her about "safety tips" for living in the U.S. (Koreans don't have the "street radar" that most Americans have because they live an amazingly crime-free life here).

I searched the web and we found lots of printed material, but that's all. I'd been hoping to find a collection of video safety tips along the lines of the safety seminar I'd seen a local officer give young girls at a college dormitory seminar (I was a Resident Assistant in a co-ed dorm). I remember him showing lots of really good safety and self defense tips that just couldn't be explained well on paper.

So, if you're ever looking for something on the side to shoot...

(by the way...if you do ever go through with this and need help with the web site design for housing it, I'll be glad to volunteer. Web design is my "day job")
Old March 27th, 2002, 09:22 PM   #7
Trustee

Ron,

Your computer sounds like it's got the speed and power in the right places. I wish you'd logged in here before you built it as we could have saved you quite a bit of cash on your HDD set up. SCSI is fantastic, I have SCSI drives in my box to, but these days all that's required is ATA100 drives(they became available in Australia about 1 month after I built my computer). Drives with a speed of at least 5400rpm, 7200rpm is recommended but 5400 will sustain a high enough transfer speed for DV. I know this won't help you now, but maybe someone else will read it and save some cash.

Premiere can be limiting. It is a great tool to introduce people to editing but you can soon find it's limits, especially as you have, in the audio department. After 2 years of using it I'm now switching to a DP 1Ghz G4 and FCP3 and a Matrox RTMac when it becomes available with OSX support.

As for you IRQ's. If you have access to a second computer connected to the net, I'd be happy to guide you through the process of allocating seperate IRQ's. It's pretty simple but as you have to do it through your BIOS it can be scary.

I had lots of problems with the V3.0 drivers to and went back to V2.1. According to the boards at Pinnicle, some people have it working well, ah well, at least I'm not the only one. Unfortunately Pinnacle have never seemed to be able to get the DV500 drivers 100%. I think it comes from the fact that they outsource the development. They make some fantastic products, but at the high end of the market.

Last edited by Adrian Douglas; March 27th, 2002 at 09:53 PM.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2002, 03:32 PM   #8
Machinist Mate

Sarge, I understand your frustration with the auto lens, it sure isn't something you can rack focus with. The silver lining to that cloud is that it does have a cool image stabilization system for those times when you need that feature. It's actually TOO good, have to shut it off when you want to pan.

They say the "freebie" lens on the GY-DV500 is pretty good, but then that's "pro" gear, not "prosumer."

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC