Simulate Standard TV effects on a HD monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Simulate Standard TV effects on a HD monitor

Hi,

I am getting another Dell 24" HD TV/computer monitor. I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS3. I also have a 13" standard tub TV. I use the 13" TV to show what my video is going to look like on a standard Def TV. This is so I know if I have the interlaced setting correct, etc.

Is there a way to simulate this on my Dell monitor so I can get rig of the 13" TV? The Dell is model 2408wfp. It has composite inputs.

Thanks,

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Trustee

The simplest way, on an ongoing basis, would be to output to your camcorder via 1394, and then to the TV. Your TV would have to have composite or S-video inputs, depending upon what your camera will output.

Many of us did this for ages in a pre-HD world but it still works. Trying to simulate an interlaced SD TV screen would be much more difficult.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Major Player

So Tripp, basically, what you're saying is, the 24" monitor cannot show interlacing artifacts due to the nature of being a progressive display....

Then i guess the answer would be no...Keep the tube TV..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
So Tripp, basically, what you're saying is, the 24" monitor cannot show interlacing artifacts due to the nature of being a progressive display....
Peter... I'm not saying exactly that. Flat panel TVs can accurately handle interlaced video, but only when they're functioning as TVs. Use it as a PC monitor and you're locked into progressive mode.

John can choose to use his second flat panel as additional computer desktop real estate or as an output monitor. How it's connected will be key to accurately seeing standard SD output. One of the simplest ways is the method I previously outlined.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Major Player

As on hd monitor

Thanks, right now I have a Black Magic Intensity Pro card that I have been using as an output device to the standard tub TV among as a capture davice. This dell monitor has I think every type of connection on it. So I was wondering if I could output from the card to the composit input on the display?
I currently have the new second Dell monitor connected to my computer via the DVI connection. This monitor even has the new digital display port. From what I have read it is Simular to HDMI but with added stuff for talking to the computer. I have only read a little on it. The info says it is supposed to take the place of DVI, USB, and a few other types. My question on this is do I need multiple connector on each end or am I not understanding the interface? The monitor is the Dell 2408Wfp, the other one is the 2407. They look identical in form and pretty close when displaying video. A few added functions in the onscreen menus.
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Peter... I'm not saying exactly that. Flat panel TVs can accurately handle interlaced video, but only when they're functioning as TVs.
Okay, this has always been a query of mine..
So could i assume that interlaced properties on an HD monitor are similair to those that are output to a current broadcast monitor..
Like for example, if i reveresed field dominance, it would show up incorrect during output viewing, or single pixeled items would show banding etc..??
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Trustee

John... I start to get a little fuzzy on this topic when it comes to HDMI and its cousin DVI. The reason for this is that both of these connections pass information both ways. In doing that, the monitor can tell the source (computer in this case) about how it will display video. As I haven't reviewed the spec, I can only conjecture on what info the monitor can pass back to the computer.

The simplest and possibly most certain way to view your interlaced output would be to stick with your old TV. You can try connecting the flat panel using one of the available analog inputs and see what you get. It'll take someone with more of an engineering understanding than I have to give you a better technical understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Okay, this has always been a query of mine..
So could i assume that interlaced properties on an HD monitor are similair to those that are output to a current broadcast monitor..
Like for example, if i reveresed field dominance, it would show up incorrect during output viewing, or single pixeled items would show banding etc..??
Peter... Yes and yes. Reversed field dominance will show up. Exactly what happens with single pixel items will always yield undesirable effects but they could depend upon the monitor's interface with the source. Analog connections will give you the expected undesirable results. HDMI, particularly when connected to a source that does "upscaling" like many SD DVD players may do different things based upon their upscaling algorithm. Regardless, whatever it does, it won't be pretty.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC