Fluctuating Saturation Level at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 18th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fluctuating Saturation Level

Hi,

I'm trying to capture some live broadcast video to my PC. I have a Matrox RT.X100 Extreme and a Canon GL2.

I've tried a couple different methods. First, I connected my GL2 to the s-video out of my S-VHS VCR, set the channel, and recorded. After capturing the clip, I plugged the GL2 into the RT.X100 via the Firewire port.

Problem: the saturation levels fluctuated. It was particularly noticable in the skin tones.

So, I tried a different method. I plugged the S-VHS VCR directly into the break-out-box of my RT.X100 using the s-video in port, effectively removing the GL2 from the equation.

Problem: the saturation levels still fluctuated, plus the picture was dark and with a overall weak color signal. Adjusting the Proc Amps took card of that, but the saturation fluctuation was still present.

I'm thinking this is a problem with the broadcast signal, and not the RT.X100 or the GL2, but I don't see this problem when watching the show live with my TV plugged into the S-VHS VCR.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks!
Old September 18th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Possibly a copy protection scheme.

When I used to shove all my inbound video through my Sony SLV-R1000 S-VHS deck, the vido levels would go up and down. When I went through my Sony Home Theater amp, the level jump stopped (but of course it blocks output to the tape deck when the DVD is supplying the signal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC