External Monitor with After Effects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 30th, 2003, 10:51 PM   #1
New Boot

External Monitor with After Effects

I just got a new monitor (first one). It's rather cheap, a Sony Trinitron Color Video Monitor SSM-20N5U and I was able to use my GL2 through firewire to the comp and then connect my s-video cable to the monitor as well. This works perfectly fine in Premiere but when I try to do the same thing in After Effects the Video Preview Preferences dosen't even show that a firewire device is available. I went to the After Effects help file but it just gave step by step instructions on how to configure an external monitor with the program. I'm not sure why AE isnt recognizing it, the camera is on and everything is plugged in right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Walter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 02:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

I do not use after effects but I belive that it needs to be hardware assisted. I belive that the RTX. 100 will output from after effects and Photoshop using WYSIWYG technology.

I could be wrong,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:37 PM   #3
Major Player

There's also a very cool product called Echo Fire that will give you that capability in both After Effects and Photoshop, and quite a bit more. It's a software solution, so you can use it regardless of your editing hardware. All it takes is a firewire port.

http://www.synthetic-ap.com/products...ex.html#output

The problem is that After Effects and Photoshop (and your computer monitor BTW) work in RGB color space, not video's YUV, so extra software is required to convert over to a video output. That's also why colors on your monitor look so different once they get back to video. With so many folks working in DV these days, I think Adobe should get on the stick and incorporate Firewire previews as an option for both programs. In the meantime, you'll have to spend $255 for the capability.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC