Windows Media Glitching at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 8th, 2002, 01:34 PM   #1
KGarrison

Windows Media Glitching

I am having a problem I hope someone can help me with. Using Adobe Premeir 6.01 and using Advanced Windows Media output, I often get horrible screen flashes at the end of a transition. It does not occur when saving in any other format. If you want to see what I am talking about, view the videos on this page:
http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/default.asp?cmd=view&articleid=549

If I use Hollywood Effects, I don't seem to have the problem. Any suggestions?
Old April 9th, 2002, 02:07 AM   #2
Trustee

When using windows media, it's best not to use transitions as the compression algorithum dosen't seem deal with them very well. I had a similar problem so now I just use cuts or fades
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2002, 06:59 AM   #3

I've said it before, I'll say it again....Windoze media Player is a piece of garbage. For a company to put out such glitchy software is criminal. A while back I searched for a reliable, multi-formatted media player that WORKS. Lo and behold ZOOMPLAYER ( http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/ )It's got variable speed playback, will play just about anything, and doesn't come with all the googahs that M$ loads with their player. On top of that, the original WMP6, which comes with the OS is still on my system. It gives a MUCH more complete "file properties" than WMP7(which oughta be shot at sunrise and put out of its misery)
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2002, 01:21 PM   #4
KGarrison

Can Zoomplayer be configured as the default player when files are refrenced as mms://server/filename.wmv?

Kerry
Old April 9th, 2002, 01:30 PM   #5

unfortunately not. i think M$ has that hard wired into its OS's. (Maybe this is as repressive as IE?) otherwise WMP would be complete history.
Old April 9th, 2002, 05:53 PM   #6
KGarrison

ok, I tried my video clip in Zoomplayer and the transition glitches are still there. Any other suggestions?
Old April 9th, 2002, 07:27 PM   #7

sorry, I don't
Old April 10th, 2002, 02:32 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

What this does tell you is that the problem seems to be
occuring during encoding of your file. Hence it does not
matter what software you use for playing the file. Perhaps
there is a new fixed version out of the encoding software/
driver/codec?

I don't encode to the WMV, only AVI with either DV or
DiVX or MPEG so I cannot help you further.

Good luck!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2002, 07:40 AM   #9

One more thought, tho', because Zoomplayer uses the same directshow filters that WMP does. Your system should still also have the original WMP6 installed. At least, it will if you're on W2k. If you open your clip with WMP6, right click to get to "properties", then select "video decoder", then select the "advanced" tab, you'll get some color mapping radio buttons. You could try various compbinations of these. This has worked before for me. Nevertheless, I tend to agree with Rob. Sounds like something is hosed up with the file.
Old April 28th, 2002, 05:45 PM   #10
madeline

I had similar problems with just basic cuts and then tried Cleaner 5 and the same timeline rendered with no transition problems. Maybe it's the fix for you, maybe not -- just thought I'd throw it in.
Old April 28th, 2002, 08:56 PM   #11
KGarrison

Problem with Cleaner is that the Windows Media Compression doesn't seem as good. The solution I found was to export the timeline as a DV AVI and then use the Windows Media tools to encode it for what I need. This works perfectly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC