mini dv transfer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 10th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #1
Tourist

mini dv transfer

Hi. I am going to do some shots on super 8 and 16 mm film and have them transfered to mini dv.
Before I do I have a question.
I need to transfer these videos on my 1394 port. Now Im not new to computers I've been programming and building computers for over 10 years now but I need a bit of info. I can do the transfers ok and I am not new to video editing but I am unsure what hardware I should use to capture these videos. What I need is a mini dv drive.

Now for the question. Are all mini dv drives and cameras the same when it comes to transfer of video? Can I purchase a cheap $500 mini dv camera and get the same transfer quality as I would from a $3000 camera or one of Sonys dvcam drives?

I thank you for any info you can give me. I've been unable to find this info anywhere on the net and it seems that the video transfer houses don't have a clue.

thanks
Anthony
Anthony Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There won't be any difference since they're both digital video. The DV "drives" are just a lot better for your camera, so you don't wear out the heads. So buying a cheap camera shouldn't be a problem.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #3
Tourist

thanks so very much. I've been looking for that answer all day.
You've been a great help.

Thanks
Anthony
Anthony Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC