No sound captured in Studio 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 14th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #1
Tourist

No sound captured in Studio 8

Hi
I can capture video in Studio 8 via USB from my Sony DV camcorder, but not the sound. Any ideas on what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.
I can capture video and sound in Ulead Studio7 with out a problem.

WinXPhome - Athlon 2100+ - NVidia GeForce4 Ti4400 graphics card.
Old October 14th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Use firewire to capture. A card, cable, and possibly software can be had for under $30 on newegg.com. It's even cheaper if you look around on pricewatch.com (but then you should check out the reseller's reputation over at resellerratings.com).

USB is not the way to go. It's slow and I believe it's only for transferring MPEG video (low quality and hard to edit).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Why are you using the USB connection, Martin? As Glen pointed
out, DV is normally captured over firewire. If you go down this
route you should not have any problems and you can work with
other NLE's like Vegas, Premiere or Avid as well (for example).

Which Sony camera is it exactly?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 03:00 AM   #4
Tourist

Hi and thank you both for replying.
I am waiting delivery of a firewire cable and hope I can use it with the one and only 1394 socket on my pc's Creative SB Audigy sound card... or is this a crazy idea. Just thought I'd try it before buying a proper 1394 capture card.

My camcorder is the Sony TRV60E (trv70 in the US). It has the wide CCD chip for excellent 16.9 widescreen and also takes 2mega pixel photo's, but the still photo quality is poor.
Many thanks again.
Martin.
Old October 24th, 2003, 06:35 AM   #5
Major Player

I've used the 1394 port on my Audigy with no problems. I've captured with Studio 8 and 4 other consumer-level, under $100 programs, as well as with Premiere and Vegas.

For analog capture, I installed a Canopus ADVC-50 and, to support it, a 1394 card. The ADVC-50 exposes a 1394 port on the front of the PC, plus I have 3 connectors at the rear.

I still use the Audigy's port most often.

Will
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #6
Tourist

Will
I can now capture video and sound using the Audigy 1394 port, so no need for a capture card.

I have a trial version of Adobe Premiere 6, which is complicated to use but supports 16.9 widescreen. Can you tell me if Studio 8 supports 16.9 widescreen, and have you noticed any difference in the final DVD picture quality with these two programmes.

When I play a DVD made in Studio 8 on my wide screen TV, the picture is squashed to 4.3 mode and I have to manually select wide screen on my TV to view it correctly. Do you know if there is a way in Studio 8 to make the DVD auto switch to wide screen.
Many thanks for your reply.
Martin.
Old October 24th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #7
Major Player

My work has not taken me into the 16:9 realm. I'm ignorant on this score.

I am not aware of any way a DVD player can communicate to a TV how the TV should handle the signal. I know my DVD player has a number of settings that control how it outputs the signal, and I know newer TVs, especially the LCDs, have settings that control what kind of signal it should expect. As far as I know, this is all manual.

[edit] On the DVD quality score, all I can tell you from my time at the Pinnacle forums is that folks generally give the Pinnacle DVD codec high marks. Most of the complaints I've seen are pretty esoteric. I'm satisfied with Studio 8 output, and it provides more fine control over the encoding than most products in its price range.

I think Adobe is still using the MainConcept codec, which also gets high marks.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC