HP Z800 Workstation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Tourist

HP Z800 Workstation

Hello all.I am thinking of purchasing an HP Z800 Workstation.I am a newbe and videography is my hobby.I want this workstation for editing high definition,general computing,and playing games.Is this a good choice?Thank you.Linda
Linda Michal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

For video editing as a hobby, the Z800 is overkill. For gaming, you could get a better gaming rig for less money. Games don't run as well on workstation-class video cards like the Nvidia Quadros that ship with the Z800; those cards are specially designed for what they do, and gaming isn't one of those things.

My recommendation would be to get a good Core i7 gaming PC for around $1000 (Dell or HP are both excellent) and use that for video editing as well. A strong gaming computer will work very nicely as a high definition editing station. Unless you're really getting into After Effects and heavy animation and 3D modeling, you won't see any benefit from using a purpose-built workstation like the Z800. Spend the extra $$ on a better camcorder, mics, lights, etc.

If your hobby turns into a career, and you're making serious money editing video, then you might consider a custom-built workstation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC