DV Editing Career ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 28th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #1
Tourist

DV Editing Career ?

Hello. I'm doing a project on digital video editing (mostly about PC NLE software). But I had a few questions about the career path and what it entails. Any information is appreciated.

Questions:

1) What kind of path do u take to in order gain experience with non-linear editing? (EX: Internships)

2) Does a film degree help?

3) What kind of editing jobs do you take on? Do you contract out your services or do you work for a company?

4) Do companies prefer editors with PC NLE experience? (EX: Do they like Avid Media Composer over Final Cut Pro)

5) What’s your favorite color? ( hehehe... I always ask this question when I meet people :D)

Any help is appreciated and thanks for your time. Have a great holiday.

Cheers mate!

-Mike Cerx
Mike Cerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 08:55 PM   #2
Wrangler

Probably one of the better sources for information would be the film schools. Usually found in the major metro areas. Easy to find on the Web.

Unless you are unusually gifted, studying film making is a good path on which to start.

Anybody can read the owners manual and edit something. Great editing takes study and experience and feedback from people who know all about it.

Blue
Old November 30th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've gained all my knowledge the practical way. I don't have a film degree (although I'd like one), and I take jobs doing indie films and my own films to get more experience. I like to think that I do a pretty good job, although I'm sure that I could be doing things differently that I haven't learned yet.

I don't know if this helps you at all. :)

Oh, and green.
Jon Yurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 11:21 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mike,
I don't have answers for you, but browsing through the site of the American Cinema Editors, the trade organization for editors (A.C.E.), may provide you with some tips.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #5
Wrangler

Re: film school, several good posts have been made on this subject that you'll find with a quick search.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:32 PM   #6
Tourist

Thanks 4 the feed back. I appreciate it.

Cheers mate!

-Mike
Mike Cerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

1) Started out in production(floor crew) for local affiliate. Had experience editing at home, at school and as volunteer. Eventually moved to tape-op, then technical director, a couple other jobs then writer/producer, but I edited most of my own spots.

2) Definetly helps, but not necessary. My degree is in Journalism, but anyone at school could volunteer for the school station. If you don't study RTF you need to read and study on your own. And when you land a job, hang with the guys who are obviously good and learn from them.

3)I edit full time for the local PBS affiliate. I volunteer for things, if I can make time. I make a little side money editing occasional corporate pieces or weddings.

4)Companies almost always ask for experience on the gear they own; So this is still predominantly Avid. Final Cut has broken into many of the small shops. Sometimes you will see job listings asking for premiere, media 100, or Sphereous. Despite the job listing, most production managers know that if you have experience on a couple of different NLEs you will be able to learn theirs quickly. BUT almost all companies want editors to be good with photoshop and After-Effects.

5)Gray-Blue or Brittish Racing Green.

Good luck on your project, feel free to email me if you need anything else.

Martin
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 06:44 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

1) I was a graphic artist doing sales for an entertainment website, and volunteered to edit the video. After a while, I became the chief graphics artist there, and made a whopping $10 per video.

2) I wouldn't know I don't have one, and in this area, I don't think it would count for much. But it would look impressive on the wall, next to my A.S. in Graphic Arts.

3) Having left the entertainment website, due to lack of work or money, I started on my own. Events and music videos are my prefference, and avoiding weddings at all costs. In the coming Spring, I plan to produce a feature length movie.

4) The few companies I have seen doing any hiring, seem to expect experience with Final Cut and After Effects, Avid at the very least. I learned with Premiere, and will stick with it for the time being.

5) Fade to BLACK
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC