NLE upgrade for Ulead "pro" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 30th, 2002, 03:43 AM   #1
New Boot

NLE upgrade for Ulead "pro"

Hi there,

After (almost) a week-end into the wonderful world of NLEs (using Ulead Video Studio 5 and Media Pro 6.5) I'm already feeling like a pro and getting ready for what's next....

Leaving the joke aside: After playing w/ the above two I'm looking for advice on an NLE giving the best compromise between learning curve and capabilities, with a bias towards capabilities. The intended use is for home videos but I am particulary picky about details. Based on my (short) experience all too)often I will need to: replace/modify/edit the audio, introduce intermediate title frames in the footage, alter the speed of some scenes, etc.

Also, since I'm a total newbie, the existance of knowledgeable forums to answer various questions about the software is a must.
Additionally, seamless export of the footage back to the DV camcorder (Panasonic MX300) is strongly desired since the final result will be kept on DV tapes. CD/DVD authoring is a plus but not a "sine qua non".

The platform system is quite powerful and stable: Win2k Professional, P4 2 Ghz, 512 RAM, UATA 100 7200 rpm Seagate disk (although no RAID), OHCI compatible IEEE 1394 card w/ Lucent chipset (Soho OEM card).

After a (short) shopping session I got my mind set on Vegas Studio 3.0. Any other suggestions ? Pointers to _good_ NLE shopping guides ? The one at SYPHAonline.com is basically worthless. The best I found so far is at

http://production.digitalmedianet.com/2002/03_mar/features/cw_nle_buyers.htm

Thanks in advance,

Florian
florian otel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2002, 07:09 AM   #2

I'm using VV3 and can't say enuff about it. This is one terrific application!
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2002, 07:22 AM   #3

Tutorials are available from several sources. I began with the tutorial packaged with VV3....a fairly simply tutorial but it gives you a taste of what you can do. Next, you can also click on Doug Spotted Eagle's picture at the top of the webpage and get all of his tutorials for VV3.

If you purchsase VV3, be sure to buy the large manual. I don't know if this now comes with the product. The manual I got was quite skimpy and had to get the larger manual as an add on.

It's really quite an intuitive program to use....unlike SOME NLE's, who's name I won't mention.
One more suggestion: take a look at the Contour ShuttlePro. With this USB device, you can manipulate VV3 just like an old SVHS NLE. It's a terrific add on.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC