Please help !.... blown camera firewire ports ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:23 PM   #16
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : Quite a few people on forums like these report blowing out firewire drives (they are connected via 6pin-6pin FW cable). The solutions seem to be:
1- power everything down while switching devices
2- Use quality firewire cable.

I don't know what's wrong in Paul's case, but I would suspect that the 6pin-4pin firewire cable is feeding power on some of the pins. It definitely isn't supposed to do this. The 4-pin connector should not be carrying any power at all. There are various ways to test this out. This includes trying a new firewire card ($25ish off newegg.com), getting a voltmeter and measuring all the pins (the 6-pin end plugged into the computer, turned on), or using a friend's computer. -->>>

What is sad is that the implementations of firewire that can be blown by a voltage generated in the computer. The technology exists to protect input circuits from 12 VDC.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

So you’re saying that Sony is more of a standard than Apple?

WOW I would have bet the money on Apple, as it is I use more Apple than Sony so I cannot reasonably say that Sony better only knows the one side.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:49 PM   #18
Wrangler

I think it comes down to who ships more connections and who is held to be the 'gold' standard. I'd bet on Sony I think.

Whether Apple or Sony knows firewire better isn't the point. It is the impementation. My experience with the Apple implementation has decidedly been worse than with the Sony versions.

Before you start thinking that I believe Apple's version to be bad, I don't know that to be true or false. But their package in its entirety, hardware and software isn't as friendly. And it may only be the software, not the hardware that causes the differences.
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:18 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I believe that most of the problems that Apple has comes from the software side and they way they think that WE should know what's going on whenever they put out an update.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:22 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
What is sad is that the implementations of firewire that can be blown by a voltage generated in the computer. The technology exists to protect input circuits from 12 VDC.
Older Macs don't have this protection, but newer Macs do if I remember correctly. On newer Macs you need to press a button in case you "blow out" your FW port. I don't know what happens on the firewire drive side.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #21
New Boot

Hi guys

We "may" have found the problem with all my blown firewire ports. Here in South Africa we use 220volts a/c power. Upon inspection we today found that the "live" and "neutral" of the 3 pin power plug had been swapped around on the extension cable we were using to power the PC. This resulted in a huge potential difference across the points when it should have had none. Although the power was fine to actually power the PC and peripherals, it "may" we think be our problem. Will keep you all posted and thanks for those who offered their 2c worth ..... esp. Debu who originally stated "check your power supply" .... thanks.
Paul Swires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #22
Warden

Except for Canon XL1's (not XL1s) our Mac lab at school handles all cameras and peripherals without a problem. No communication errors and no blown FireWire ports. The XL1 issue was caused by Canon not fully implementing the FireWire standard in the camera's firmware.

On the other hand it seems that early Sony Viao laptops would only communicate via iLink with Sony cameras. I'm told that this was some kind of software limitation that the early Sony's had. I don't know the exact cause but I have seen more than several students with this problem. The laptop doesn't recognize any camera except a Sony.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC