Transferring my video to my computer... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 15th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Ross may be on to something here...i have to turn on usb streaming in the menu on my sony pdx10...you may want to try your camera with plain old fasion usb connection allbiet slow...it will let you work with and test your camera functions...but like Ross said...check your menu for usb streaming

I own and operate a small computer retail shop and should be able to help you with this...if you email me ill send you my phone number

good luck
David Korb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Well hot damn. You guys sure know your stuff. It was the damn cable. I finally went out and purchased another firewire cable. I picked up one at Wal-Mart made by Belkin because on the front of it it says, "Apple FireWire and Sony i.LINK Compatible." Plug it in and turned my camera on to VCR mode and sure enough XP detected it automatically.

I'm so relieved. I immediately captured some of my footage in Windows Movie Maker just to fool around with it, adding audio tracks over it and what not. But after fooling around with it for only 5 minutes I could tell how terrible that program is. So I jumped into Adobe Premiere 6.5 and captured some of my footage with that. At first I was worried because immediately after I captured my footage I dragged some of it down into the "timeline" and tried to view it in the monitor, but it was extremely choppy, as if it skipped a ton of frames. I didn't really know how to go about fixing it, but when I closed Premiere and opened it back up and loaded the same footage again, it played perfectly. Any ideas as to what the problem was?

Also I have a pretty important question. Even though the footage now plays smoothly, I recognized those interlaced lines across the screen. They're not completely obvious, but I just happened to notice them cause I was looking for them. Now for the actual question, how do I go about de-interlacing my footage using Premiere? Is it complicated or is it as simple as finding it in the options and clicking a button?

Once again, you're help would be appreciated.
Old January 16th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Frank, don't trust your computer screen if your target format is TV/VHS/DVD. Hook up your camera to a DV to preview it on a TV (most convert DV to analog on the fly). TVs show interlaced lines properly and computer monitors don't.

When you're starting out, I suggest that you double check your work on a TV. There are some video and audio issues that any TV will show while your computer will not.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC