Imorting AVI clips into AE cause a crash - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 15th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Just a quick point that might be related to your problems:

I recently did the Microsoft-recommended upgrade to DirectX 9 on my editing machine.

At that point, all my capturing systems went to hell EXCEPT for Avid DV, which doesn't use the Microsoft DV Codec for capturing. I couldn't use DVGATE, VirtualDub, or any other capture utility. I uninstalled the DX9 update, and everything went back to normal.

Maybe the update did something to the Microsoft DV codec that is used by a lot of the PC based capture systems?
Rob Henegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #17
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Henegar : Just a quick point that might be related to your problems:

I recently did the Microsoft-recommended upgrade to DirectX 9 on my editing machine.

At that point, all my capturing systems went to hell EXCEPT for Avid DV, which doesn't use the Microsoft DV Codec for capturing. I couldn't use DVGATE, VirtualDub, or any other capture utility. I uninstalled the DX9 update, and everything went back to normal.

Maybe the update did something to the Microsoft DV codec that is used by a lot of the PC based capture systems? -->>>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this is getting closer to the truth! i also read that winXP SP2 changes the codec! So I am not sure it's a DirectX problem, SP2 problem, or both!!!

My workaround now is to do ALL capture in PremierPro, immediatly export the clip as MS DVI, and then the file can be correctly imported into AE6.5.

For previously captured source tape, I am at a loss. But at least I have my source tapes and a workaround! too bad I need two programs to get one simple job done.
jigs

UPDATE!!! I figured it out! to get previously captured files into AE do this:
1.bring it into premier
2.set in/out points and place clip on timelime
3.export as mentioned above.

I dont know why this works (u must set in/out points and then export just the workarea) but it does! the resulting file is readable by AE6.5. Insanity!
jigs
Friday.
Jiggy Gaton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC