New Computer from DVLine at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 5th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Computer from DVLine

My P4 1.8Ghz Dell has picked up some viruses and overall is not working well. I currently can't capture video, which has happened before and I fixed it, but I think it's time for a new computer. Anyway, I was thinking of getting one from DVLine. Anyone out there ever had any good or bad experiences with this company?

Also, although this sounds strange, I am thinking of keeping this computer completely off line to avoid corruption form viruses and whatever else out there has ruined my current computer. Is this feasible? I guess I could download updates and new programs to disc and then copy to my offline computer. I just don't know what else to do. My firewall software was too annoying to be practical. Any advice from someone more computer savy than me?

Thanks
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

DVLine is a fine company. There are several other options available as well.

Keeping the editing computer offline is definitely feasible. I have two editing computers that are NOT connected to the internet and never have been (and probably never will be). I just download updates, burn them to CDs, and then install from those CDs.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #3
Wrangler

I've kept one of my machines off the internet during production in the past, it's no big deal. You really don't need to burn stuff on disks. If you keep all your machines behind an inexpensive router with NAT (Network Address Translation) they should be safe from intrusion. And if you don't use your editing machine for mail or web browsing that should greatly reduce the virus risk (unless embedded in application updates). But I can't imagine not having the machine hooked up to a network for file transfer at least.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Edward,

>DVLine is a fine company. There are several other options available as well.<

If you would, what are the other options (other than just calling Dell or HP/Compaq or Gateway)? I realize that this may be a really basic question but I have found more gems of information in so many of your replies to others on this forum that I thought it would be worth a try.

The info on it not being necessary to be connected to the internet is helpful. Thanks.

Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback.
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #6

I have a laptop from PCNirvana. Earl Foote is a great guy to work with. I have also met Ken Bell from DVLine and believe he also runs a good company. They both specialize in video computers.

I know there are still others out there but don't have any of them "bookmarked" on my system. You may also want to check the DVInfo sponsers and see if they sell editing systems as well.
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #7
Trustee

Dan a simple format of your system drive and fresh installation may be all that is required. A P4 1.8 is totally adequate for DV editing provided you have pleanty of RAM. It would probably cost you $50 to have some college kid come and clean up you system for you. It would sure be a damn site cheaper than buying a new system. The money you save could go towards a router like Boyd mentioned.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

My own Canopus DV Rex RT was built by Ken Bell's folks at DV Line. They're an excellent, first-rate outfit committed to high quality integrations and outstanding customer swervice. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #9
Inner Circle

My Dual athlon Avid system was bought from DVLine. I am very happy with the product and their service is outstanding. Four stars.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I agree with what Adrian Douglas had to say, Have you tried just formatting the existing computer you have and re-installing everything? That usually works for me whenever I have a problem...or multiple problems that prevent me from doing what I need to do. Just another suggestion until you find a new computer you might want.
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #11
Major Player

Here's another endorsement for Ken Bell and DVline. Ken has been very helpful to anyone interested in DV in the years of its inception.

There are a lot of "integrators" but Ken is a class act who has been there since the begining and his company is a reflection of his integrity.
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry so late to respond, I've been on vacation. I think I am actually going to go with several of the suggestions. I am going to get a computer from DVLine and also restore my old one. Keep the old one online and the new offline. Sounds kind of silly, but to me it's worth it to not have to worry about restoring my system every 6-12 months.

I am considering a laptop, just for the sake of having something different. I probably won't do much editing away from home, but it would be nice to have the option plus portability for other purposes. My concern is that laptops I have used in the past always seem a bit slow to me. probably just not enough RAM on the ones I used, but I just thought I'd ask those of you who edit on a laptop for your input.

Also, does anyone know if I'll have difficulty getting Vegas 4 activated on a computer not connected to the internet? I read a post a long time ago about someone who had problems doing this.

Thanks
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #13
New Boot

In hunting down licensing terms I came across reference to a toll free number to call for licensing that may address your non-Internet connected workstation question. It's on Sony's site in the Knowledge Base.
J Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 09:34 PM   #14

Registering Vegas on a non-connected computer is no problem at all. As I said, my main systems are NOT connected. Upon entering the serial number, one of the options is to "Register from another computer".

When you choose that option, an HTML file is written wherever you specify, you take that to another computer that IS connected, get a response back, and enter that on the non-connected computer.
Old February 16th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #15
Major Player

Edward, about the offline updates - how do you do that?

Usually Windows update page has auto installers. How do you just download them without executing on the downloading machine?

Thanks!
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC