Editing Program similar to Premiere - FCP?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 18th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Okay, Thanks Glenn. That will certainly affect our decision now.

I know that you aren't "supposed to" use most software on multiple computers...but the fact that I'm buying a license for it is enough for me. PRemiere doesn't have any type of "Activation" except for their media encoder and so far I've been able to activate my "borrowed" version (not borrowed from a friend). Its Avid's protection that will probably keep me from buying it.
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Premier, Vegas and Edition

Hi guys

Just to add my 2c, I tried edition but the thing got really unstable on me during the final editing and I don't trust it anymore but it was the first time I used it and maybe I was using it wrong. Didn't like large timelines.

I'm currently using Edition Pro and I like it. Handles lots of video nicely but I hate having to wait for the rendering. I know I should get a bit of hardware for this but I can't justify it for the amount of work I do which is non commerical. Edition was king for rendering and I liked it for that.

Tried the trial of Vegas and I didn't like the user interface so I gave up on it pretty quick. So I can't really say anything good or bad for it as I rekon it's good but just not for me. I might use it on and off for some of it's filters as go beyond whats' availalbe in Premier.

As far as it goes, I reckon use what comes natural. The best NLE can't make good videos, only you can.

Donie
Donie Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Try Edius 2.0
http://www.canopus.com/us/products/EDIUS2/pm_EDIUS2.asp
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I downloaded Canopus last night and....I REALLY like it. Even more than Premiere!! A Few questions though:

Is the Hardware encoder card required? Or what does it actually benifit for you if its not required? Is it just for like rendering or does it actually render the files as you work on it? Like is it something I would benefit from for paying the extra $100 to buy it in a bundle?
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I'm glad you like it!
No.. the hardware card is not required. Edius 2.0 works with and off the shelf OHCI DV capture device.
It *will* get better performance using Canopus hardware but as computers get faster that margin narrows.

Edius doesn't "background" render or give you a "preview" of the video. Edius plays everything out in RT over firewire.

A good bundle would be Edius 2.0 and the ADVCio card which is an OHCI card with analog out so you don't need to go through your camera to send the video to an external monitor.

Plus it'll work with all the other NLEs like Vegas, and Premiere.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Canopus

I downloaded it too and fell in love with it.

One problem I didn't like though and forgive me if I have this wrong but if you have multiple video layers and they are stacked on top of each other, how do you pick them all up with the mouse and move them as a group? I do this all the time because I'm always making a mess and need to drag stuff around to sort it out.

If it can do that it's a super package. The speed is incredibel. No rendering time at all and as smooth as silk. Maybe it needs to do some final rendering before output but it certanily didn't look like it needed to. I need to spend a little more time on it.

The real time effects are so easy to use. I was able to do stuff really quickly. Nice and intutive.

I'm very tempted to replace Premier with it. But I think I will play around a bit more to see if I can find soemthing that would stop me...

Regards
Donie
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #22
Regular Crew

That is one of the things it's lacking. A multiple select/move tool. You can move groups using CTRL+ALT then drag.
Check the helpfile for more keyboard shortcuts there are a ton.
CTRL+ Mousewheel zooms the timeline
the mousewheel can be used to adjust nearly every value in every window. Like speed adjustment, color correction just scroll the wheel.

You can also drag a box around multiple filters and make them a single preset by dragging them over to the effects palette.

Then you can blend to the group with the "blend filters" filter.

It's fun and fast!
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #23
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Dontigney :

You can also drag a box around multiple filters and make them a single preset by dragging them over to the effects palette.

Then you can blend to the group with the "blend filters" filter.
-->>>

That's neat. ;)

I'm usign the demo at the moment so I don't have a handy manual. Does the full verison come with a decent manual?

Where is the cheapest place to buy online? I can use this along with Premier. What would be the easiest way to integrate with a premier workflow? Juat import the AVI?

Thanks
Donie
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #24
Regular Crew

The manual isn't too bad (it's not great either) and you also get a tutorial DVD along with a tutorial guide.

I'll also be releasing my tutorial DVD (I made and sold a ton of he Edius 1.5 two DVD tutorial set) but it mostly covers the Inscriber Title Motion included with 2.0 and ProCoder Express.
It'll also have many other tricks and tips.

The cheapest way fright now is to go to http://www.froogle.com and do a search for "Canopus Edius" you can get the 1.X version which entitles you to a FREE upgrade to 2.0. The 1.X can be found for as little as $260 which is a heck of a deal considering you get Inscriber TM (which blows away the Adobe titler in AP 6.5 and Pro) and ProCoder Express for Edius which is also standalone.
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Michael

I live in Ireland so I must first wonder if the free upgrade is availalble here?

What is Inscriber TM? I don't see it on Canopus's website?

Thanks
Donie
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I'm not sure.. You could check the Canopus website for a dealer near you and give them a call. http://www.canopus.com

Inscriber is one of the best CG title tools on the market. Adobe licensed their technology to create the titler in Premiere Pro (and 6.5) but they left off many of the really cool features like animations and logo import/editing.
For more information about Inscriber and a downloadable manual for TM:
http://www.inscriber.com/products/NL...ion/index.html
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #27
Rextilleon

I have a general problem with not following licensing agreements when it comes to software installation. I feel that it hurts developers, consumers and ultimately doesn't give our children a very good example to follow. People might find the agreements unfair, and if they do so there are options. Unfortunately, many people dont avail themselves of those options.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Well the company I am with is making the decisions but the general idea was to experiment with our own home computers with video editing programs...pick one you liked the best. Then they will purchase one copy of that and start using it with the company. If all turns out okay I am 100% positive we will get full licensed for it, however it is a smart business decision to not fully invest into a product before you are sure its doing what you want and more importantly need it to do.

There are some programs however that allow you to do more than one installation of software.

For instance, I feel it is unfair for me to pay $500-$600 for OfficeXP when I can only use it on one comptuer. I own a desktop and laptop...I can only use one at a time so why should I have to have different licenses for each one if I can only use one at a time. Thats when I think its unfair.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:01 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I posted this but Chris booted it with another I guess.. hehe.

Edius 2.0 comes with two licenses. One for your desktop PC and one for a Laptop.

Sounds reasonable to me.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:18 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Ah, well that makes a lot of sense! Yeah I noticed a e-mail saying I had a reply but I didn't see one anywhere. Oh well. Thanks for all the help guys!
Tim Frank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC